B2 for her parents.....

I really would like for Jie's parents to come here for a visit to see her life in the US. However, I know the overwhelming odds are against it. Would it be worth applying for? Here are some stats:

1) They are in early/mid 50's

2) Both retired, but low income

3) No assets to speak of

4) No other children

5) Never been outside the country

Are the odds in favor of a denial if they both applied for a simultaneous visit? Would their chances increase if they came one at a time?

Just trying to get a feel for this before putting in the emotion, money and effort into trying to get a B2 for them.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

I can say 2 things, one "It don't hurt to try" and two, I don't see much of a reason for them to return to China which is the big thing you want to show. If it was me I would at least try it is a small investment and could mean a lot to your wife and parents.

I found this on the Beijing Embassy website about the B2 visa. Perhaps, like the visa interviews we apply for, its all in the evidence and interview.

It is titled "America Welcomes Chinese Tourists"

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/awct.html

222158[/snapback]

Thanks for the post, but the between-the-line text in that document is "America Welcomes Chinese Tourists (That Have Money)". As you say, it is all in the evidence and interview, but as opposed to the K visa interviews, where they are looking at your relationship, here they are looking at whether the applicant will return to China, and the burden is on the applicant to prove that he or she intends to return. If he or she doesn't have a whole lot going for them in China, and his or her only daughter has emigrated to the U.S., the understandable suspicion is that the applicant does not intend to return. But, this CAN be overcome - just make sure her parents have a lot of convincing evidence of their "ties" to China. Tine & Ella's list is a good starting point. I think that something that helped with my wife (then girlfriend's) B2s is that we had a definite agenda for our time - a day by day schedule of where we would go. Of course, that alone along with $100 will get you a nice red rejection stamp on your passport, but a planned itinerary (with a return date!) helps, IMHO, provided you have some other evidence of what will bring you back to the Middle Kingdom.

(Incidentally, the fact that one does not speak English, and therefore would have no reason to want to stay in the U.S. is not good evidence of an intent to return. My friend's wife tried to claim this.)

As others have said, it only costs about $100 to try. Just make sure you're prepared.

Never been to another country will be an issue and most likely one that will be brought up in the interview or one of the reasons for a denial. I tried to look at it from "what are the odds" point of view too, but you can't really do that. There is no defined criteria, so you can't use any kind of number system.

One option is to get as close as you can to their undefined criteria and schedule an interview. After the first denial you'll know what to overcome so you can change the status of the denial. Repeat the same steps to change the next denial. Crazy as it sounds, it's common to interview 2, 3,... times.

Someone else mentioned on CFL about traveling with a tour group, but I have no idea how that works or if it works.

Note: I've witnessed one case that the person trying to travel to the states didn't have employment and money. So, they came back providing proof of employment and financial records. The consulate did their homework and found that the employment was fake and found a recent large sum of money was deposited into the bank account. They were denied again and was told that they had a 10% chance of ever coming to the states. So, be careful how you handle the overcoming evidence.

At any rate, try and see what happens.

Good luck.

Never been to another country will be an issue and most likely one that will be brought up in the interview or one of the reasons for a denial. I tried to look at it from "what are the odds" point of view too, but you can't really do that. There is no defined criteria, so you can't use any kind of number system.

One option is to get as close as you can to their undefined criteria and schedule an interview. After the first denial you'll know what to overcome so you can change the status of the denial. Repeat the same steps to change the next denial. Crazy as it sounds, it's common to interview 2, 3,... times.

Someone else mentioned on CFL about traveling with a tour group, but I have no idea how that works or if it works.

Note: I've witnessed one case that the person trying to travel to the states didn't have employment and money. So, they came back providing proof of employment and financial records. The consulate did their homework and found that the employment was fake and found a recent large sum of money was deposited into the bank account. They were denied again and was told that they had a 10% chance of ever coming to the states. So, be careful how you handle the overcoming evidence.

At any rate, try and see what happens.

Good luck.

223020[/snapback]

Great info, thanks for that. Like the K1, I want to make sure they are well prepared for this and I appreciate your help! !