Record of communication

Does anyone have the knowledge on how I can record a video or just the audio portion of communication on Yahoo messenger with voice or Skype? My wife wants me to do this so she has it for interview. I don't have a clue how to except maybe a tape recorder being on while we talk. Would actually like to record the whole thing right from the computer if possible onto a CD.

Mike

Edited by Lowen/Zhang (see edit history)

> You can use sound recorder to do this.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17659

> Start menu-->all programs-->accessories-->entertainment-->sound recorder.

I never knew this was on my computer. It took about 1 minute to figure out how to use it, 1 minute to make a test recording (on my computer the sound recorder the max. is 60 seconds), 2 minutes to find the file, 15 seconds to send the test to myself by email, 15 seconds to download the email attachment, 2 minutes to find where it was downloaded to, 60 seconds to play.

We talk on Skype every day, but I know of no way to record the entire conversation (anyone else know how?).

This way would just give you a 60 second sound clip, but I am not sure the method to download it to a CD. It should be as easy as downloading any other file to a CD, but again, I have not tried that.

Your mic and speakers will pick up your conversation and record the 60 second clip for you, but I agree, a whole conversation would be nice to have. :blink:

Guest pushbrk

I never knew this was on my computer. It took about 1 minute to figure out how to use it, 1 minute to make a test recording (on my computer the sound recorder the max. is 60 seconds), 2 minutes to find the file, 15 seconds to send the test to myself by email, 15 seconds to download the email attachment, 2 minutes to find where it was downloaded to, 60 seconds to play.

We talk on Skype every day, but I know of no way to record the entire conversation (anyone else know how?).

This way would just give you a 60 second sound clip, but I am not sure the method to download it to a CD. It should be as easy as downloading any other file to a CD, but again, I have not tried that.

Your mic and speakers will pick up your conversation and record the 60 second clip for you, but I agree, a whole conversation would be nice to have. :blink:

219045[/snapback]

For a whole conversation, use a digital video camera or any separate digital recording device. If you are trying to satisfy a potential VO request for a communication video, then this might be a way that would work without being in China.

219045[/snapback]

For a whole conversation, use a digital video camera or any separate digital recording device. If you are trying to satisfy a potential VO request for a communication video, then this might be a way that would work without being in China.

219048[/snapback]

yes Mike I think she is trying to anticipate the requested video or recorded communication. She told me a friend of hers was ask for one at interview because the English was not that good. My wife speaks pretty good English I think. Especially when our talks are sometimes over an hour. I do get " Can you speak more slowly " and "I don't know how to translate into English" sometimes but she usually uses her dictionary or I will ask her to use a different word. But she is concerned about having the record. I keep a log of our communications on paper but no recording as of yet. The video recorder might be a good idea.

Mike

Guest pushbrk

Your mic and speakers will pick up your conversation and record the 60 second clip for you, but I agree, a whole conversation would be nice to have. :)

219045[/snapback]

219048[/snapback]

yes Mike I think she is trying to anticipate the requested video or recorded communication. She told me a friend of hers was ask for one at interview because the English was not that good. My wife speaks pretty good English I think. Especially when our talks are sometimes over an hour. I do get " Can you speak more slowly " and "I don't know how to translate into English" sometimes but she usually uses her dictionary or I will ask her to use a different word. But she is concerned about having the record. I keep a log of our communications on paper but no recording as of yet. The video recorder might be a good idea.

Mike

219055[/snapback]

Yahoo messenger has an archive function. To print a copy of the log, I just take a screen shot of it and paste it into a word document. I did this before my last visit to China and took the pages to her. I'll need to do it again when I send the I-134 and associated paperwork before interview.

If her English is good, it is highly unlikely she'll need a video.

Just to make sure you understand.. there is a nill chance of presenting this at the interview itself..  it would be only requested for submission as overcome evidence.

219063[/snapback]

Thanks I will let her know maybe the documented evidence on paper will be enough at the interview. Don't know how they would listen to it anyway. Just trying to figure out how so I can send her something to calm her worry.

Your mic and speakers will pick up your conversation and record the 60 second clip for you, but I agree, a whole conversation would be nice to have. :)

219045[/snapback]

219048[/snapback]

Mike

219055[/snapback]

Yahoo messenger has an archive function. To print a copy of the log, I just take a screen shot of it and paste it into a word document. I did this before my last visit to China and took the pages to her. I'll need to do it again when I send the I-134 and associated paperwork before interview.

219065[/snapback]

I dont understand the screen shot. Can you explain? Not a computer wizard here. Trying the entertainmant recording wave now.

Just to make sure you understand.. there is a nill chance of presenting this at the interview itself..  it would be only requested for submission as overcome evidence.

219063[/snapback]

Thanks I will let her know maybe the documented evidence on paper will be enough at the interview. Don't know how they would listen to it anyway. Just trying to figure out how so I can send her something to calm her worry.

219066[/snapback]

It is good to calm her worries.. don't get me wrong... I think if she wants it, then give it to her. But also make sure her worries are not based on nothing.

As Mike said, if her english is good enough, they'll not ask for it...

My fiancee could not speak hardly any english.. did the interview in Chinese and we were never even asked for any pictures or financials to review..

So it's hard to predict on a certain level what will cause a problem or not... but best to be over prepared...

good luck.

Guest pushbrk

219045[/snapback]

219048[/snapback]

Mike

219055[/snapback]

219065[/snapback]

I dont understand the screen shot. Can you explain? Not a computer wizard here. Trying the entertainmant recording wave now.

219070[/snapback]

Sure.

Open a new word document and minimize.

Arrange what you see on your screen so you're happy with it, so it is what you want to print.

Then find the "Print Scrn" button on your keyboard and push it.

Open the Word document and "paste".

The image that was on your screen when you pushed the button will now be in the word document. Save it and print it or email it to your SO to print on her end. The printed image will be more readable than the one you see on your screen.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

219063[/snapback]

219066[/snapback]

There is a form in the P-4 package; "Supplemental Form GNI-2". Question 8 asks "List all languages, including your own that you can speak, read, write"

I wonder if some of the requests for "proof of communication/common language" is because some beneficiaries are not including English as one of their languages. Perhaps the GNI-2 is reviewed during he interview...the questions does not list English, the SO prefers an interview in native language...and the issue snowballs from there into a request for a videotape to prove that the applicant and beneficiary can communicate.

Phone records (and an attempt to interview in English) would be proof of "speaking", e-mail/chat correspondence would be proof of "reading and writing".

The form does not ask for a level of proficiency, just to list the language.

219063[/snapback]

219066[/snapback]

There is a form in the P-4 package; "Supplemental Form GNI-2". Question 8 asks "List all languages, including your own that you can speak, read, write"

I wonder if some of the requests for "proof of communication/common language" is because some beneficiaries are not including English as one of their languages. Perhaps the GNI-2 is reviewed during he interview...the questions does not list English, the SO prefers an interview in native language...and the issue snowballs from there into a request for a videotape to prove that the applicant and beneficiary can communicate.

Phone records (and an attempt to interview in English) would be proof of "speaking", e-mail/chat correspondence would be proof of "reading and writing".

219080[/snapback]

This is an interesting thought I had not heard before...

I know that we did list 'english'.. and I prepared her for how to do the interview, interjecting a few english lines at times...

But I half suspect that it is a more VO factor than GNI-2 one... meaning, some VOs see lack of english as an issue and some do not.

But your point is well taken.. and we should ask those requested a video [in the future] what they put on the form...

I will state that not too long ago I put forth the observation that in the last year, CFL members have shown a decrease in the incident of video request (from the previous year). Again, I tend to think it was VO turnover at the consulate since we know they change...

219045[/snapback]

219048[/snapback]

Mike

219055[/snapback]

219065[/snapback]

219070[/snapback]

Sure.

Arrange what you see on your screen so you're happy with it, so it is what you want to print.

The image that was on your screen when you pushed the button will now be in the word document. Save it and print it or email it to your SO to print on her end. The printed image will be more readable than the one you see on your screen.

219074[/snapback]

Great THANKS just tested the print screen deal into word document. Will try it with video communication when we talk tonight. Great help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks again she will be happy!!!!!!!! Also tested the recorder and it works and can be sent by email but don't know how they could listen to it. Don't think they will take the time. Unless like you said need to overcome something. But I have telephone bills and my record of communication log via Skype and Yahoo messenger I also have a record I can print of her leaving messages to me. On the answering device on Yahoo where is the Yahoo archive function though?

Edited by Lowen/Zhang (see edit history)

219063[/snapback]

219066[/snapback]

219080[/snapback]

I have told my wife that she must enter the interview and I am sure will probably be greeted in Chinese and ask if she can speak English. Her answer should be "Yes a little but slowly" she should ask for questions to be repeated again if she does not understand and if she can not explain totally in English ask if she can answer the question in Chinese.

Guest pushbrk

Your mic and speakers will pick up your conversation and record the 60 second clip for you, but I agree, a whole conversation would be nice to have. :lol:

219045[/snapback]

219048[/snapback]

Mike

219055[/snapback]

219065[/snapback]

219070[/snapback]

Sure.

219074[/snapback]

Great THANKS just tested the print screen deal into word document. Will try it with video communication when we talk tonight. Great help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks again she will be happy!!!!!!!! Also tested the recorder and it works and can be sent by email but don't know how they could listen to it. Don't think they will take the time. Unless like you said need to overcome something. But I have telephone bills and my record of communication log via Skype and Yahoo messenger I also have a record I can print of her leaving messages to me. On the answering device on Yahoo where is the Yahoo archive function though?

219086[/snapback]

To find the messager archive, right click your SO's username in your list of friends or family. A window will appear, in which you select "message archive". The Catch 22 is, I think you must have selected something at some point to turn on the archive. I remember doing something like that but it was so long ago I don't remember or see how.