Change of Name or Adoption?

My daughter (not offical yet) still has her chinese name. She recently obtained her green card. She wants to have an offical American name for school and her friends. I can legally change her name before the school term or apply for adoption, which I am told takes much longer and might not be done by the new school term next August. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Not sure about the name change issue, but any adoption proceedings must meet the conditions of the Child's country of citizenship before a local court will finalize the case.

In China it is a very simple process that is performed at the Notary and the requirements for Step-parents are very simple as long as your SO agree. And if the child is adopted by China law I'm not sure that you would need to do anything with the US legal system.

My wife and daughter will apply for USC this Sept. At that time they both want to change their names, my wife is changing her first name from Yi to Ella and my stepdaughter is changing her first name keeping her last name as middle name and wants to take my last name. And can be done for free when they become USC.

Tine