Who ‘discovered’ America?

It really struck me last night, as I was helping teach Citizenship, how biased this question is and has been for so long now. When I asked this question to my Chinese students, I could not help but throw out to them, “Who DISCOVERED China?” The irony was lost on them, but not for me. I suppose my role is to simply prepare them to answer the questions correctly to enable them to pass their Citizenship exam. I do wonder about their knowledge of colonialism and how much of the truth I should, if any, ad lib.

Just prepare them for the exam don't confuse them with truths Dennis or you will end up in big doo doo.

By the way America was not discovered because it was never lost. And the continent doesn't even give a hoot if you call it America or not. Don't be such an Animal Kingdom chauvinist :rolleyes:

Gee, and all this time I thought it was the Irish!  :P  :P

218618[/snapback]

The Irish WOULD be ruling the whole world if the bloody Scots hadn't invented Whisky. :hug:

218622[/snapback]

Yep, whiskey and golf. Those Scots are a sadistic lot for sure.... :D

It really struck me last night, as I was helping teach Citizenship, how biased this question is and has been for so long now.  When I asked this question to my Chinese students, I could not help but throw out to them, “Who DISCOVERED China?”  The irony was lost on them, but not for me.  I suppose my role is to simply prepare them to answer the questions correctly to enable them to pass their Citizenship exam.  I do wonder about their knowledge of colonialism and how much of the truth I should, if any, ad lib.

218578[/snapback]

Al Gore invented America..