"Eligible for an interview"

"Eligible for an interview"

Our members often call DOS to find out the status of their case, and this phrase has been used by different DOS personnel in different times in a case so as to make us confused as to it's proper meaning/timing.

Some are told they are eligible, but the case is not even yet entered at the consulate; Some have been told the case is entered, but the name check is not completed, the case is not eligible for an interview, etc. (I could give more examples, but I'll spare it)

When is a K# case considered "eligible for an interview" once it is:

1) Approved by NVC

2) Sent by NVC to the consulate

3) Name check started by NVC

4) Name check has completed

5) The case was entered in the computer at the consulate

6) Once the P3 is sent

7) Once the P3 is received at the consulate and entered in the computer

8) Other case, can you specify.

In the case of multiple cases (ie: K1/K2), state if all must pass that step or not.

At what point for CR1? (I know that P3/DS-230 occurs while the case is still at NVC instead of the chronologically sequenced P3 in the list).

Maybe you could just state each visa type and which list number the phrase applies to...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

K cases and CR/IR cases are "eligible to be scheduled for interview" when:

- the petition is approved by the NVC

- the case file is received by the IV Unit

- the Packet 3 is sent, the necessary Packet 3 forms have been returned, and the data entered in the computer (in CR/IR cases, this usually occurs while at the NVC)

- the security name check process has been completed (in most K1 and K3 cases, this occurs at the NVC)

For numerically limited visa classifications, the Consulate must also wait until the petition's priority date becomes current.