Need a statement from the applicant?

When you file petition for a K1 (or CR1) for your SO, the Immigration Services needs a notarized statement from your SO? Since when?

It was not required before.

One of my friends is having problem. Guangzhou notary public said the statement which describes how n when they met, fell in love, decided to get married is personal stuff - the notary public don't want to notarize it. They said no one ever gets such stuff notarized.

The I-129F has a small section [for K1] which states:

"Original statements from you and your fianc~{(&~}(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his/her admission, and copies of any evidence you wish to submit to establish your mutual intent."

---

There have been many variations on a theme with this... some keep it to the point and legal sounding and some add in some personal stuff ... and some give a full blown report about the start of the relationship...

SOme have both sides write or sign, and some have only submitted one from the USC.

This is to be an 'original statement', not a copy... There is no reason that it cannot be notarized as be true and written by the author.

I wrote mine up, added a fair amount of detail with specific dates, etc.. and had it notarized [here in the US]...

When you file petition for a K1 (or CR1) for your SO, the Immigration Services needs a notarized statement from your SO? Since when?

It was not required before.

One of my friends is having problem. Guangzhou notary public said the statement which describes how n when they met, fell in love, decided to get married is personal stuff - the notary public don't want to notarize it. They said no one ever gets such stuff notarized.

216153[/snapback]

We only wrote up a brief paragraph and signed it. The idea is that it's a letter of intent. Didn't get it notarized or anything.

I'd say someone is trying to add more conditions to the paperwork because they feel it would be helpful. :)

Right now, the immigration attorney in US wants a notarized statement from the applicant, but Guangzhou notary public said it's personal stuff and they don't want to notary it. Still trying to get someone to convince them.

Right now, the immigration attorney in US wants a notarized statement from the applicant, but Guangzhou notary public said it's personal stuff and they don't want to notary it. Still trying to get someone to convince them.

216162[/snapback]

Fire your attorney.

According to the FAQ, there is a letter of intent in the P4 (for the K-1 Chinese fiance), but that is signed in front of the Consul at the interview.

216171[/snapback]

that's right..

Some used to worry about updating their first letter of intent... this has some merit as even 9FAM says that its reasonable to question the relationship of long duration.. and an updated 'intent' would appear to be a good item to have.

Fact is, it's not needed to be updated... the P4 one is all that is needed... [ That's the reason I was told [by a visa service] to only do one myself.. since she would be doing one at the consulate]...

The letter of intent doesn't need to be notarized. The only things that need a notary seal is the I-134 and the notatorial divorce decree, birth certificate, single certificate and police check. A VO can ask you for anything they want but in the 3 1/2 years I've been reading this site and the 4 years since I began this journey I have never once heard of a VO demanding a notarized letter of intent.

216162[/snapback]

Fire your attorney.

216166[/snapback]

This is also the first time I heard about it, but someone said effective Apr or May 2006, they need a notarized statement from the applicant for filing a petition.

A few months ago I also saw a petitioner from CT who needed a statement from the applicant for filing a petition, but no need to be notarized.

Right now the applicant is trying all the notary public's in Guangzhou to see any one is willing to notarize it. Well, there are always ways to work things out :yahoo: . This is south China :yahoo:

The petitioner's attorney may or may not know what he is talking about, but unless he can provide something for the Chinese Notary in writing, preferably in Chinese, they aren't going to budge.

I'd have her just send the standard letter and let the attorney deal with it, that's his job. :yahoo:

The petitioner might want to be made aware of the I-129F instructions in section 5,B :

Provide original statements from you and your fiancé(e) whom you plan to marry within 90 days of his orher admission, and copies of any evidence you wishto submit to establish your mutual intent;
Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

The attorney is in TN. The applicant will give him what he wants instead of arguing. She's going to get the notarized statement next week. Cost an arm and a leg :ph34r: