Marriage Brokers

I posted this in another thread, but, I thought a new thread might get more attention. I do understand that any "new" applicants who have met their SO's on a website will have to deal with this. My question is how will they handle this for USC's who started this process before the law took effect? I have no idea if AsiaEuro is in compliance with the law or not. I have written to them, but, they fail to respond. I suppose it's anybody's guess.

I have some new information. I was curious, so I wrote a letter to one of the "so-called" marriage brokers. I wanted to find out how they are dealing with this new law. Here is the response I received:

As you may be aware that the U.S. law(IMBRA 2005) effective on Mar.6

mandates that international dating sites shall collect background

information from U.S clients who wish to use their services. In compliance

with this law, Chnlove has made changes on both sides of our U.S. clients

and our ladies. You may read more about this at:

http://www.chnlove.com/help/imbra.php

We have made smooth adjustment for both U.S. clients and our ladies.

You will need to fill in your personal disclosure form only once, and

when you contact your favourite lady either through our EMF service or

viewing her address directly, your disclosure form will be delivered to

her. After the lady agree and sign to approve, you may start

communication with her.

Many U.S. clients filled in the disclosure form and their communication

with their favourite ladies go as smooth as before. So you may kindly

set your heart at rest.

In terms of the visa application, we have been told that, if the US

client finds a life partner and applies for a fiancee visa to bring her

into the US, the consular official will be required to ask for specific

details as to how the two met. If they met via an introduction service

they will be asked whether the service complied with the law. If they

meet via non-compliant services, their visa applications will be

rejected.

So you see, Chnlove's compliance with this law is not only for our

business operation, more importantly, is for the smooth visa application of

our sincere clients.

We sincerely hope that we could still be honored to provide you the

best service. Please kindly let us know if you have additional question or

concern. We'll be most pleased to help you.

Kind regards,

xxxx xxxx

Guest ShaQuaNew
I posted this in another thread, but, I thought a new thread might get more attention.  I do understand that any "new" applicants who have met their SO's on a website will have to deal with this.

My question is how will they handle this for USC's who started this process before the law took effect? 

215235[/snapback]

It's important to clarify the differences between a "Marriage Broker" and a third party match-making website.

The bill passed earlier this year deals only with Marriage Brokers. A Marriage Broker is a third party business that charges a fee for match-making. There are hundreds of these companies in China. All charge extremely large fees to set up profiles, take photos, and troll for unsuspecting men in the world.

Many times the Chinese woman does not speak English. These agencies then intercede and respond to inquiries and sometimes telephone calls. They are brokering a deal and trying to get a guy. If they are successful, the Chinese woman must pay an additional fee to the broker agency.

Many liken these brokering agencies to human trafficking agencies. Meat markets of human flesh. Scum. They are not concerned for the welfare of their clients, but only to get that deal. They often hook their clients up with unscrupulous men, with colorful backgrounds and bad intentions. Men that use the immigration system like a revolving door for their own sexual pleasure.

This bill now holds these brokers accountable for conducting background checks on their clients. The bill is intended to have teeth and force the human flesh traffickers out of business.

Now, anyone that met their partner online, without the intervention of a third-party person charging a match-making fee, does NOT fall under this new law.

If you did use a brokering agency you may be held to additional security checks. I have not seen it definitively documented as to whether those that have approved petitions (NOA2), will be affected, but one could assume that until a visa is issued that you may.

I posted this in another thread, but, I thought a new thread might get more attention.  I do understand that any "new" applicants who have met their SO's on a website will have to deal with this.

My question is how will they handle this for USC's who started this process before the law took effect? 

215235[/snapback]

It's important to clarify the differences between a "Marriage Broker" and a third party match-making website.

The bill passed earlier this year deals only with Marriage Brokers. A Marriage Broker is a third party business that charges a fee for match-making. There are hundreds of these companies in China. All charge extremely large fees to set up profiles, take photos, and troll for unsuspecting men in the world.

Many times the Chinese woman does not speak English. These agencies then intercede and respond to inquiries and sometimes telephone calls. They are brokering a deal and trying to get a guy. If they are successful, the Chinese woman must pay an additional fee to the broker agency.

Many liken these brokering agencies to human trafficking agencies. Meat markets of human flesh. Scum. They are not concerned for the welfare of their clients, but only to get that deal. They often hook their clients up with unscrupulous men, with colorful backgrounds and bad intentions. Men that use the immigration system like a revolving door for their own sexual pleasure.

This bill now holds these brokers accountable for conducting background checks on their clients. The bill is intended to have teeth and force the human flesh traffickers out of business.

Now, anyone that met their partner online, without the intervention of a third-party person charging a match-making fee, does NOT fall under this new law.

If you did use a brokering agency you may be held to additional security checks. I have not seen it definitively documented as to whether those that have approved petitions (NOA2), will be affected, but one could assume that until a visa is issued that you may.

215313[/snapback]

Thank you for that information. According to your description of a Marriage Broker, it does not apply to me, personally. I used a site called AsiaEuro which charges a fee to join the site, but, after that, you are free to write to any of the ladies listed on the site. If they want to write back to you, they can. You check out each other's profiles, and, if you are interested, you correspond with them. There is no "broker" involved. Again, thanks for that information. Ron :unsure:

I hope that this may help. It is taken from HR3402.enr

(4) INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER-

(A) IN GENERAL- The term `international marriage broker' means a corporation, partnership, business, individual, or other legal entity, whether or not organized under any law of the United States, that charges fees for providing dating, matrimonial, matchmaking services, or social referrals between United States citizens or nationals or aliens lawfully admitted to the United States as permanent residents and foreign national clients by providing personal contact information or otherwise facilitating communication between individuals.

B) EXCEPTIONS- Such term does not include--

(i) a traditional matchmaking organization of a cultural or religious nature that operates on a nonprofit basis and otherwise operates in compliance with the laws of the countries in which it operates, including the laws of the United States; or

(ii) an entity that provides dating services if its principal business is not to provide international dating services between United States citizens or United States residents and foreign nationals and it charges comparable rates and offers comparable services to all individuals it serves regardless of the individual's gender or country of citizenship.

Sorry but I can't get the smiley out of the quote

• 1 year later...

The bill passed earlier this year deals only with Marriage Brokers. A Marriage Broker is a third party business that charges a fee for match-making. There are hundreds of these companies in China. All charge extremely large fees to set up profiles, take photos, and troll for unsuspecting men in the world....

Many liken these brokering agencies to human trafficking agencies. Meat markets of human flesh...

Is chnlove this "Marraige Broker"?

I signed up to meet a woman from China, not a meat market. Let me know. Thanks.

Edited by oscar (see edit history)

The bill passed earlier this year deals only with Marriage Brokers. A Marriage Broker is a third party business that charges a fee for match-making. There are hundreds of these companies in China. All charge extremely large fees to set up profiles, take photos, and troll for unsuspecting men in the world....

Many liken these brokering agencies to human trafficking agencies. Meat markets of human flesh...[/quote]

ChinaLove is a reputable site, and many others here have used it.

Moreover, the term “marriage broker” is not a negative connotation, it is just the terminology used by the USCIS/DOS and other relative agencies of the US Govt. with respect to the recent IMBRA legislation.

The words you have referenced, are one member’s description of some practices of ‘others’ in the (world-wide) business.

The context of his comments are not as you seem to have perceived them. The member was quoting another source, which was referring to those who are not above board in their activities.

Relax. :)

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Many liken these brokering agencies to human trafficking agencies. Meat markets of human flesh...

Yes, technically Chnlove does fall into this category. They don't however fall into all the other categories some here have painted all Chinese matchmaking companies to be in. They're not ALL scum. They don't ALL charge "extremely large fees" for their services. They don't ALL just troll for unsuspecting men.

We used Chnlove and are both happy with our experience. All her dealings with the company were professional and above-board. My wife paid 100 RMB at the time because she could already speak English. Currently I believe the fee to join is 1200 RMB for Chinese ladies but from what I've heard it can be negotiated in some cases. Is this an "extremely large fee"? Maybe for some women in poorer cities or areas. But for women like my wife who had a good paying career, it's not that far off what you could pay for a comparable service like eharmony or match.com here.

As for men who visit/join some of these sites being "unsuspecting"? C'mon, you go to these websites and if you're not following the rule of Caveat Emptor then you get what you deserve. Do some have very bad experiences through some of these sites? Sure. But there are many of us who've had equally good experiences.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Chnlove as a place to make the initial contact. From there you just need to use your own good common sense, as with any matchmaking site.

Edit: I was typing my response as Roger posted his so... What he said too.:)

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Thanks to both of you. I do want to let you know that I am new here but I am a responsible forum member. I searched "chnlove" and read all the threads first. So I saw that many used it for introduction to possible life partners. That's what I did too.

The reason I asked is because I am spending a lot (to me) of $$$ (to me) using their email service. I narrowed it down to one woman who wrote me first. I paid to get her address/phone/email info and stepped off the "pay to play" train. We have exchanged many regular emails and pictures. I called her and we have talked many times (wow, her profile said learning English but she spoke it very well, made me ashamed because beyond the basic pinyin and Mandarin I am lost...but learning too). So I wondered if she may be hindered (or me) by a large agency fee if we were to one day get married.

I have taken to recording mp3's of me reading poetry to her. I am interested in her and would like to know how she may generally view meeting and corresponding to men (I hope I am her only one now) through a "marraige service."

Thanks again!

Thanks to both of you. I do want to let you know that I am new here but I am a responsible forum member. I searched "chnlove" and read all the threads first. So I saw that many used it for introduction to possible life partners. That's what I did too.

The reason I asked is because I am spending a lot (to me) of $$$ (to me) using their email service. I narrowed it down to one woman who wrote me first. I paid to get her address/phone/email info and stepped off the "pay to play" train. We have exchanged many regular emails and pictures. I called her and we have talked many times (wow, her profile said learning English but she spoke it very well, made me ashamed because beyond the basic pinyin and Mandarin I am lost...but learning too). So I wondered if she may be hindered (or me) by a large agency fee if we were to one day get married.

I have taken to recording mp3's of me reading poetry to her. I am interested in her and would like to know how she may generally view meeting and corresponding to men (I hope I am her only one now) through a "marraige service."

Thanks again!

Next step, get a low cost China calling card or one of the other voip type services, and start calling her daily. I use e-call china.com, at 1.6 cents per minute, with a local access number, and I call my Lao Po at least four times each day, sometimes more. We also text once or twice a day. I am my Lao Po and daughter's alarm clock. Today is the first day back to school, so in just one hour I will give them their wake-up call !! A heavy responsibility on my shoulders !! :)

The voice communication is what really cements the relationship and keeps it from drifting IMO. I have known my wife for over 2.5 years and we have been married for over one year. It just keeps getting better and better !!! My only regret is to have not found her earlier in my life. :roller:

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

BTW, I ask this stuff here because I found this site very helpful and the members very knowledgable. The chnlove forum software really stinks and I would like a place to talk about this stuff that isn't so heavily moderated.

BTW, welcome to Candle oscar. :)

You're right, this site is very helpful and if you pursue your relationship with this lady, it will be invaluable and well worth the price of admission. :roller:

I'll second what Roger said about cheap calling cards and verbal communication. Do a search here and you'll find plenty of recommendations by members who've used them.

Thanks, the warm welcome is a relief but was not unexpected considering the esteemed members here!

Two questions about the chnlove IMB.

I wondered if we will be met with an agency fee if we were to one day get married.

How do women generally view meeting and corresponding to men through a "marraige service."

Thanks in advance for the answers and now I will take this to a more appropriate thread.

Thanks, the warm welcome is a relief but was not unexpected considering the esteemed members here!

Two questions about the chnlove IMB.

I wondered if we will be met with an agency fee if we were to one day get married.

How do women generally view meeting and corresponding to men through a "marraige service."

Thanks in advance for the answers and now I will take this to a more appropriate thread.

I sent you a PM.