Can the grandparents from China visit.

My wife is pregnant and will deliver soon. Once the baby arrives, we want to invite my wife's parents to visit for two weeks to see the baby. My wife has another sister in the US and a brother and sister living in China. Her parents have property in China. My wife just received her AOS interview and approval. Her parents are elderly so one parent coming for the visit is not an option. We can see that they purchase a travel visitor health insurance policy, etc. What are the odds. It would seem ashame that they could not come and visit. I would prefer them visit rather than take the baby to China. Any advice would be appreciated.

Guest pushbrk
My wife is pregnant and will deliver soon.  Once the baby arrives, we want to invite my wife's parents to visit for two weeks to see the baby.  My wife has another sister in the US and a brother and sister living in China.  Her parents have property in China.  My wife just received her AOS interview and approval.  Her parents are elderly so one parent coming for the visit is not an option.  We can see that they purchase a travel visitor health insurance policy, etc.  What are the odds.  It would seem ashame that they could not come and visit.  I would prefer them visit rather than take the baby to China.  Any advice would be appreciated.

215127[/snapback]

You're going to have to build a compelling case that they will return to China.

Do they have any history of international travel?

Is their "property" in China, substantial?

Is there a carreer or business to add to the reason they'll return home?

Can all this be documented?

If they apply, make sure the picture seen by the VO is one that would show a compelling reason to return to China. Compelling enough to overcome the natural assumption that with two out of three of their children in the USA they would actually return to China. Oh, this "picture" has to be "true".

My wife is pregnant and will deliver soon.  Once the baby arrives, we want to invite my wife's parents to visit for two weeks to see the baby.  My wife has another sister in the US and a brother and sister living in China.  Her parents have property in China.  My wife just received her AOS interview and approval.  Her parents are elderly so one parent coming for the visit is not an option.  We can see that they purchase a travel visitor health insurance policy, etc.  What are the odds.  It would seem ashame that they could not come and visit.  I would prefer them visit rather than take the baby to China.  Any advice would be appreciated.

215127[/snapback]

If they apply, make sure the picture seen by the VO is one that would show a compelling reason to return to China. Compelling enough to overcome the natural assumption that with two out of three of their children in the USA they would actually return to China. Oh, this "picture" has to be "true".

215133[/snapback]

There are two children in China and two in USA. They also have grandchildren in USA. Thanks for the advice especially the fact that they do have international travel history.

Guest pushbrk
My wife is pregnant and will deliver soon.?Once the baby arrives, we want to invite my wife's parents to visit for two weeks to see the baby.?My wife has another sister in the US and a brother and sister living in China.?Her parents have property in China.?My wife just received her AOS interview and approval.?Her parents are elderly so one parent coming for the visit is not an option.?We can see that they purchase a travel visitor health insurance policy, etc.?What are the odds.?It would seem ashame that they could not come and visit.?I would prefer them visit rather than take the baby to China.?Any advice would be appreciated.

215127[/snapback]

215133[/snapback]

There are two children in China and two in USA. They also have grandchildren in USA. Thanks for the advice especially the fact that they do have international travel history.

215142[/snapback]

Yeah, don't get old. I was going by the memory of reading your post moments before. It would be more helpful if they also had grandchildren in China but you can't hardly do anything about that. :P

Two and two is better. If their international travel is documentable, that should help a lot. The more the better. Same with the assets. The more the better.

Earlier somebody advised leaving the grandchild coming out of the paperwork. It's not likely to help because it adds more reason to stay in the USA. Bring them as tourists. Some people make the mistake of saying they (the residents) will pay for the travel and living expenses for the parents. This is bad, not good. Pay if you want to but there's no need to mention it. It's better if they can and will pay their own way. Put yourself in the shoes of that VO. If they can't pay their own way, maybe they need to and plan to stay in the USA so you can support them.

Guest pushbrk
Worked for us telling VO in the letter we would care care of all costs while here.

Tine

215614[/snapback]

I'm sure the visa you're talking about was granted based on the totality of the circumstances and case that was presented. Do you have any tidbits of knowledge to add that would enhance the value of having stated this single isolated fact?

Worked for us telling VO in the letter we would care care of all costs while here.

Tine

215614[/snapback]

I'm sure the visa you're talking about was granted based on the totality of the circumstances and case that was presented. Do you have any tidbits of knowledge to add that would enhance the value of having stated this single isolated fact?

215687[/snapback]

We also wrote that we would pay the travel expenses of both Nicola's parents and Grandparents. They were all granted visas with her grandparents visiting first then going back and having her parents visit next. Our immigration lawyer also suggested saying we would pay their expenses. She said it would show that they are our guest and that they won't have to worry about them coming here and not having enough money to visit and leave. I'm sure it's really different for everyone. They leave the decision up to one person to say yes or no during a two minute interview. Its just not reasonable for any of us to guess what that one person is looking for. In my opinion, its better to keep trying. Even if it takes 8 or 10 times. Nicola's grandparents passed after their third attempt with the same information just a bit more organized. Good luck

pushbrk @ May 17 2006, 10:26 AM

I'm sure the visa you're talking about was granted based on the totality of the circumstances and case that was presented.

Not really. From what I have read, sometimes the VO's hardly look at anything at all.

I am sure you would have thought my mother in law would have had no chance of getting a tourist visa. She received a tourist visa on her first attempt.

My mother in law is divorced, retired, has little money, has only one child (my wife).

What she brought were pictures of her, me and my wife , the listed required documents which included property deed for her apartment.

We sent the vo a letter that we would be responsible for her returning to China.

Also , we sent a letter from a Priest saying stating the purpose was to attend our marriage cermony in the US. I am not sure how if this letter had much influence in the VO's decision to grant a visa.

My mother in law stated the the vo focused a lot on the pictures of her and her daughter. He kept saying that she looked too young to have a daughter that old.

\

Just remind your in laws not to be nervous at the interview because they can still reapply for the visa and bring additional documents if necessary.

Edited by john90 (see edit history)

Tine

215614[/snapback]

215687[/snapback]

They have provided a LOT of advice, Mike.

Perhaps having assets in the US to cover any potential costs (including the return) helps the case.

Guest pushbrk

Tine

215614[/snapback]

215687[/snapback]

They have provided a LOT of advice, Mike.

Perhaps having assets in the US to cover any potential costs (including the return) helps the case.

215762[/snapback]

Yes, they certainly have. Unfortunately, this little tidbit is of little use without the rest of the story, which includes the Mother getting a visa while leaving her husband behind in China.

The totality of their particular circumstances made quite a compelling case for the visa applicant's return to China, regardless of who paid her expenses.

The OP in this thread is intending to apply to bring both Grandparents to the USA. Do you think offering to pay THEIR expenses would be viewed postitively? It might be. My opinion is it is more likely that it would not be. YMMV.

• 5 weeks later...

Tine

215614[/snapback]

215687[/snapback]

Tine has posted it a few times already.