hi everyone

i have been looking at this site for awhile, very helpful and eye opening. anyways, i met my girl online oct 05. i am 42 live in upstate n.y. and she lives outside (1 hr) beijing. we plan to marry in nov at her hometown to have all her family/friends there. i am sure about what visa for her, what the vermont service center is or what kind of hastle might be involved. we are both divorced have the papers from divorces and neither has ever remarried. i am thinking it will take about a year for her to come here to live. all in all , what are the processes i need to take. thanks for any help.

Welcome ktmracer to candle. I remember it was not to long ago I started this process myself. I was tall, handsome and had beautiful brown hair. Now, almost a year later I am short, fat. extremely gray and....oops, sorry. Seriously you have a tremendous knowledge base here to seek advice. I went with a K1 visa, which is a different route than what you are looking for. I am sure you will get advice shortly on what steps you need to take for the marriage route. May I suggest in the interim looking at the FAQ section, newbie link found in this section to get some initial answers. Again, welcome to Candle and hope to see you actively posting your experiences along the way.. :roller:

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
hi everyone

i have been looking at this site for awhile, very helpful and eye opening. anyways, i met my girl online oct 05. i am 42 live in upstate n.y. and she lives outside (1 hr) beijing. we plan to marry in nov at her hometown to have all her family/friends there. i am sure about what visa for her, what the vermont service center is or what kind of hastle might be involved. we are both divorced have the papers from divorces and neither has ever remarried. i am thinking it will take about a year for her to come here to live. all in all , what are the processes i need to take. thanks for any help.

214935[/snapback]

Ya done good coming here in advance. You'll have plenty of time to get prepared and even to get the forms filled out in advance, so you can get them signed in China and file them when you return.

Start by reading the FAQ. Since you will be married in China, you'll be filing the I-130 form for the CR1 visa and if you're smart, and in a hurry, you'll soon after file the I-129F for a K3 visa.

Welcome and we're here to help you through the details as needed. You'll have plenty of questions once you obtain a little knowledge base from the FAQ.

Here's the Visa Journey step by step.. you'll do good to follow this for the initial petition filings (I-130 for CR1 and I-129F for K3) and ask questions to ensure you've got the petition done right the first time...

VJ Steps for spousal visa:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=k3guide

---

Pull up a seat.. you've already anticipated that there is a decent processing time ahead. You'll get out of the chute fast going through VSC.. but then it's a horse race (if you pursue both visas)... Stay one step ahead by understanding the process and you help to ensure that all the "t"s are crossed and "i"s are dotted.

Here's the FAQs:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

---

oh yea, welcome to CFL

:roller:

hi everyone

214935[/snapback]

Ya done good coming here in advance. You'll have plenty of time to get prepared and even to get the forms filled out in advance, so you can get them signed in China and file them when you return.

Start by reading the FAQ. Since you will be married in China, you'll be filing the I-130 form for the CR1 visa and if you're smart, and in a hurry, you'll soon after file the I-129F for a K3 visa.

Welcome and we're here to help you through the details as needed. You'll have plenty of questions once you obtain a little knowledge base from the FAQ.

214939[/snapback]

(I-130 for CR1 and I-129F for K3) what are these filings? and do i need both?

If you look at the VJ links I provided, you'll see what's required for each petition filing...

The I-130 petition is REQUIRED.. this results in a CR1 visa.

After you get a receipt notice for the I-130 (ie: they've got it at the processing center), you can OPTIONALLY submit a I-129F petition, which results in a K3 visa.

The K3 path came into existence due to the long time that the CR1 process was taking.. basically a help to get the spouse to the US faster... although the K3 path doesn't do all the steps that the CR1 does. If you pursue the K3, then there is an 'adjustment step' to do in the US (another filing and time is based on your local office).

The problem is that it is a toss up as to which one will truly finish first.. there are variables in both processes and some choose to pursue both and take the one that finishes first.

You will do best to understand what each one offers, and decide with your wife-to-be, what is best for you guys... The CR1 visa (sometimes a little longer, but for some it has finished first) gives her a greencard once she gets into the US; The K3 adjustment is a filing for a greencard.

See this comparison chart at VJ on the Spousal Visas, (and the CFL VISA FAQ):

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=compare

Now another option depending on your SO and her family is to have a ceremonial wedding in China and do the processing for a K-1 visa and then have the legal wedding in the US. This is not that uncommon and many people in China will accept the ceremonial wedding, understanding the processes of governments are sometimes strange.

The reason I make this suggestion is that it sounds like you have already met in person so the basic requirement to get the K-1 visa process going has been met. You would be looking at about a 10 month process for the K-1 visa, but you could start now instead of waiting until November.

Just a thought.

Oh yeah, welcome to CFL, the adventure begins. :roller:

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)