SS Card, EAD, and Adjustment of Status

so if she does not come through JFK or Dallas and does not recieve her EAD Stamp how will she obtain this?

will it be another process that must be done before SS?

what does this stand for and what is it for?

sorry for my stupidity

so if she does not come through JFK or Dallas and does not recieve her EAD Stamp how will she obtain this?

sorry for my stupidity

213965[/snapback]

EAD stands for Employment Authorization Document (work permit or card). Assuming your SO is K-1, she will need one if she's planning on working before she gets a green card. As a K-1, she can apply for one immediately, but it'll be good for no more than 90 days and can't be renewed. After that or in lieu of the 90 day card, she call apply for an EAD at the same time she applies to adjust status. This EAD is usually good for a year and can be renewed. After she gets her green card, she won't need an EAD to work.

It is not necessary to apply for an EAD prior to applying for a SS card provided she applies for the card after about 10 days or so after she enters the country and about 14 days or so before her K-1 expires.

sorry for my stupidity

213965[/snapback]

It is not necessary to apply for an EAD prior to applying for a SS card provided she applies for the card after about 10 days or so after she enters the country and about 14 days or so before her K-1 expires.

213968[/snapback]

why must i wait so long to apply for the EAD

The EAD you can get by entering through JFK is only temporary. You can file the I-765 (EAD) at the same time you file the I-485 for AOS. Since she is K-1 she can get a SSN anytime with in about 10 days after entry and 20 days or so before the 90 days is up but without EAD it will likely say something like "can work with work authorization only" Still it would allow her to get a state ID card or drivers license and you could put her on your bank account.

ok..

so if she applies for her EAD when she goes for her green card, is there a wait for her to apply for green card or can she apply as soon as she arrives.

i understand there is some other blood tests and another interview required for this? for EAD also? or just green card

is this the interview Dennis was speaking about the other day?

ok..

so if she applies for her EAD when she goes for her green card, is there a wait for her to apply for green card or can she apply as soon as she arrives.

i understand there is some other blood tests and another interview required for this? for EAD also? or just green card

is this the interview Dennis was speaking about the other day?

214320[/snapback]

I decided to split these posts into a separate thread.

I'll try to clarify, assuming you're K-1.

Appying for green card. Technically, this is called adjustment of status (AOS) and is done by filing an I-485 to adjust your spouse's immigration status from K-1 to legal permanent resident. You can file for AOS as soon as you're married (assuming you have the requirement documents) but not before.

If I recall correctly, there are no blood tests required in conjunction with adjusting status, but a vaccination supplement is. Whether you have an interview as part of the AOS process is uncertain, but most folks go through an interview.

EAD or work card. As stated earlier, if your POE is NY, it is likely your SO's passport will be stamped with a "90 day" employment authorization. If you arrive through most other POEs, you will not get the 90 day authorization, but you may apply for it by filing the I-765. Since this authorization is only good for 90 days and can't be renewed and since it might take up to 90 days to actually receive the work card, most folks don't bother applying for this temporary card. Rather, they file the I-765 at the same time they file to adjust status in order to get a one year work card. You cannot file for this one year EAD before you file to adjust status. Most folks file the I-485 (AOS) and the I-765 (EAD) at the same time. Filing for an EAD does not require a blood test.

As part of either submission (AOS or EAD), she will have to go to a biometric appointment to have finger prints and a picture taken.

The inconvenience is if you get scheduled for them separately instead of at the same time... if separately, then you can try to call them and have them just combine them.. I'd show up to either one with both receipt notices (if you have them by that time) and I've heard they will combine them on the spot..

You can also file EAD online after the AOS filing (instead of concurrently).. I've written up how to do that in another post...

As part of either submission (AOS or EAD), she will have to go to a biometric appointment to have finger prints and a picture taken.

The inconvenience is if you get scheduled for them separately instead of at the same time...  if separately, then you can try to call them and have them just combine them.. I'd show up to either one with both receipt notices (if you have them by that time) and I've heard they will combine them on the spot..

You can also file EAD online after the AOS filing (instead of concurrently).. I've written up how to do that in another post...

214394[/snapback]

David do you know if i can do it locally in orlando or do you think ill have to travel to miami and fight the crowds