Leiqin's Greencard interview 5/10/06.

When Leiqin¡¦s name was called, Leiqin, Pastor Mary and I walked up to the Immigration Officer who stopped us at the door. He asked ¡§Which one of you is Leekin Zoo?¡¨ Mary tells him. He then asks ¡§Who are you?¡¨ Mary answers ¡§I am her interpreter.¡¨ ¡§Why do they need an interpreter? How can they communicate? How can they be in a marriage, if they can¡¦t talk to each other?¡¨

Now, please note, we have not even left the waiting room yet. I am thinking that this guy isn¡¦t even going to interview us and we¡¦re going to be sent on our way packing. I explain to him that we communicate like any couple, that we use Mary when we have important things to tell each other. And, that my Immigration Attorney suggested that I bring an interpreter, just in case there were questions that she didn¡¦t understand, ( I realize now, back in January, when Leiqin and I first visited our attorney, she could not speak nor understand much English, thus, his recommendation to bring an interpreter with us. Now, five months later, her English is much improved). The officer tells us to follow him and we are led into his office. He had us all raise our right hand and swear to tell the truth. We sat down. I could tell this man wasn¡¦t buying anything. I told him that Leiqin did not need to marry me to get her green card, that she already has asylum. That the only reason we decided to file the I130 was to expedite her green card to allow her to return to China this year to visit her 86 year old mother. He tells me this has no bearing on what he has to evaluate. Essentially, he has no peripheral vision. His blinders will only allow him to evaluate us to determine if we have a legitimate marriage, based on the evidence that we provide him. Period.

I¡¦m not feeling good about this. I am thinking; who in God¡¦s name does this man think he is to have the power to critique our marriage, especially after what Leiqin and I have been through this past week and a half? I just smile and continue to be agreeable and humble.

He asks to see photos. He asks about our marriage. He wants to know why we didn¡¦t get married in our church with friends and family present. He asks; why did we marry so quickly after we met? And, why did I want to marry her.

He says that bringing an interpreter with us is not a good sign, to start off with and that my Immigration Attorney gave me very bad advice. He then wants to know how we tell each other when we are hungry and what we want for dinner. I turn to Leiqin and say ¡§Honey, are you hungry? What would you like for lunch?¡¨ She is nervous, but answers ¡§Yeah, Ia hungry. I wanta chicken soup for lunch.¡¨ (That¡¦s my girl. ƒº) This seems to relax the officer a bit. He notices that Leiqin keeps rubbing her side and asks; ¡§Why is she constantly rubbing her side?¡¨ I explained that she recently had surgery. I explained the episodes that lead up to her surgery. Leiqin lifted her blouse and showed him her wounds. I pulled a Polaroid photo that the admitting nurse took of us. Leiqin is in her hospital bed and gown. I am embracing her. The officer¡¦s attitude and demeanor seemed to now suddenly and completely change. Yet, for his own records, he still needed us to show proof of our relationship and marriage, such as hospital records where I signed for her, cancelled checks that show I was sending money to her son Ning, statements showing that I have made her my beneficiary, etc. I didn¡¦t bring any of these.

We have conditional approval. I have 12 weeks to mail these documents of additional proof, after which, they will issue the Green Card. Another interview won¡¦t be necessary.

It sounds like you guys got a real jerk, but he was able to see what he needed to soon enouigh. Unfortunately, being evaluated in these short little interviews makes the US government a third major partner in our marriages, especially forr those still waiting for their visas.

Thanks for the details here, and congratulations.

Dennis, sorry to hear you got a jerk, but on the bright side you have a short list of evidence to get the card.

Congratulations.

213986[/snapback]

May a thousand pigeons paint this guy's head a chaulky white.

At least you're finished with the interview, and a successful conclusion seems right around the corner.

Dennis,

I am glad that you have the conditional approval, be quick with the evidence and as complete as you can be. Nobody that knows your story can doubt you and Leiqin, just put it in their face and you will be just fine.

-James

Dennis,

How could you not bringing any of the support evidences?   At least you don't have to go back again?

214037[/snapback]

Gee, usually our love for each other is suffocating to those around us. How could they NOT see it, feel it in the air?

Seriously, I took what my attorney told me to bring. It hindsight, from the officer's perspective, there were red flags....early and quick marriage and communication difficulties were the most obvious. He also dwelled quite a bit on my financial position. And, that is impeccable. So, nobody paid me to marry my wife! Geeze, and WHY would they (she), when she already has asylum??? duh!!!

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

First Congratulations!

I'm glad to here she was well enough to go to the interview. You on the other hand were not since it was your job to bring the evidence :) :bleh: Now get to it and submit to the government!

I must say I couldn't be happier that we didn't have to be interviewed.

Soon it will be behind you and you can geyt on with living.

Immigration attorneys seem to continue to prove their (lack of) worth.

With very few exceptions (King gets good press), these people are more clueless than we are about the process, and we get to pay them hundreds of dollars to give bad advice.

Really sorry to hear you drew such a jerk for an interviewer. Nevertheless, the worst of it is over. Just give them the documents and be done with it.

Glad to hear your wife is recovering well. Please, keep us all posted on all fronts.