Hey everyone,

Well its been a long time since we have posted. Although we had minor damage compared to other people getting hit with Hurricane Katrina really sucked! Nicola's parents came for 6 months to visit and pretty much the entire time we have been busy fixing our old store, fixing our house, and have started remodeling our new store. We haven't had any chance to take them out and travel America like we did with her grandparents so we asked them to File for form I-539 for a 6 month extension. Does anyone know where we can look online or any number we can call because it makes us nervous that a denial only gives us 10 days to prepare their departure. Thanks everyone for your help.

We need to post pictures of our fat Iranian/Chinese 15 month old daughter as soon as I get a chance HAHA Hope everyone is well! Thanks in advance

Yes, I've heard from a Chinese friend here that it's best to NOT apply for an extension on the first trip. I'm not sure, however, exactly where this stands between rumor and reality. Perhaps others can chime in with their experience

I'm sure there is no problem with asking for an extension. Our lawyer said if they get the extension then they would have to stay in China for a year before asking to visit us again. Besides, when Nicola is a citizen she can petition them to live with us and this won't hurt us.

I found the answer in case anyone else wants to reference this in the future

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatu...id=a998Fx4Rn1z7

You just put your case number in and they will show the status. Also, I will try to set up a account and they will E-mail the results. Good luck to everyone in the visa process.

My chinese friend Xu is over at my house right now, and i was reading this post, he says do not worry, the fact that you file then return to china shows that you honor your promise to return anyway and that if you apply again in the future there should be no problem. This mans wife's mother and some other family are up here visiting and he seems to know exactly what he is talking about. good luck and sorry and my heart goes out about the hurricane damage and all the work you had to put back into regaining your lives.

• 3 weeks later...
My chinese friend Xu is over at my house right now, and i was reading this post, he says do not worry, the fact that you file then return to china shows that you honor your promise to return anyway and that if you apply again in the future there should be no problem. This mans wife's mother and some other family are up here visiting and he seems to know exactly what he is talking about. good luck and sorry and my heart goes out about the hurricane damage and all the work you had to put back into regaining your lives.

212600[/snapback]

Thanks for your kind words. My closest friend died in the hurricane. He stayed during everything and went outside to try to rig a pump to keep his house from flooding. A gigantic oak tree fell right on top of him. His brother was feet away from him and couldn't do anything. Years earlier my friend's brother died in yet another hurricane. Its the worse feeling in world and nothing we have lost or will lose will get him back.

Besides this tragic loss, I think most people will benefit from this hurricane. Everyone's home value went up. Every single house we enter has new everything. Insurance is really doing people better than related in the news.

I checked the status our extension and they say it will take 120 to 200 days to give us an answer. Isn't that just typical of the government. It might take them longer to answer us than the extention amount! Good luck everyone.

Hey! I have been thinking about y'all!! Wondering what in the world happened to y'all and also how y'all made it through the Hurricane...this is your other Louisiana friend!! We are in Baton Rouge!!!

Good to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.....glad to hear y'all are good and able to repair the damage!!

Talk to you later!

Kim

Hey! I have been thinking about y'all!! Wondering what in the world happened to y'all and also how y'all made it through the Hurricane...this is your other Louisiana friend!! We are in Baton Rouge!!!

Good to hear from you! Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.....glad to hear y'all are good and able to repair the damage!!

Talk to you later!

Kim

218716[/snapback]

Kim,

Your baby is adorable!! How old is he? Our girl is 16 months old (almost 17). Thanks for keeping us in mind. Let us know next time you guys are in New Orleans.

I see you found the case status website, which is what I was going to recommend. It's not updated as frequently as one would hope, but generally provides some guidance as to where applications are - provided you have an Application Receipt Number!

Congratulations on your daughter, and condolences on the loss of your friend and the other issues you have to deal with after the hurricane. And I'm sure your lawyer is right on the extension issue - since they are applying for an extension and not just staying longer than they were permitted, they should have not no problem getting future visas, provided they do stay in China for a period after the extension expires in order to show that they were truly just visiting.

Edited by NY-Viking (see edit history)
I see you found the case status website, which is what I was going to recommend.  It's not updated as frequently as one would hope, but generally provides some guidance as to where applications are - provided you have an Application Receipt Number!

Congratulations on your daughter, and condolences on the loss of your friend and the other issues you have to deal with after the hurricane.  And I'm sure your lawyer is right on the extension issue - since they are applying for an extension and not just staying longer than they were permitted, they should have not no problem getting future visas, provided they do stay in China for a period after the extension expires in order to show that they were truly just visiting.

219835[/snapback]

Thanks for your well wishes.