CR1/G325a Question-- for I130 filers

Guest pushbrk
I got my answer from the fillable forms... sorry, i couldn't delete this.

I still don't know the answer for my future stepson

211515[/snapback]

A signature is a signature. My wife and step-daughter signed in Chinese characters and both petitions are approved.

The forms are filled out in the present tense. Marriage in China does not automatically change your wife's family name to yours. That is something, if desired, that must be done legally after her arrival in USA.

All your wife's legal documents in China will continue to show the name she uses today. That is her name.

my understanding is that it's best to wait till your in the US to do any name changes... Have you asked her in this regard to changing names?

I'm not sure why the son should be any different than the mother in filling out the G-325a... I would give his official name that can be verified, not a taken english name if that's what you mean he has also.

I know that some (including us) have put both chinese and pinyin on the signature line for forms, putting the name in pinyin in parenthesis if you want, and signing in chinese, since that is the only signature they are used to.

If you put the name in pinyin, make sure that it is put in expected notation; meaning, she probably signs her chinese name with the family name followed by given name (backwards to us).. but when putting in the pinyin I'd write:

Name: FAMILY_NAME, Given_Name (ie: PING, Suling)

I always used ALL CAPS for the FAMILY_NAME to reinforce this is her last name.

You might also consider putting her given name, if two characters, always as one name like I show above (ie: Su Ling >> Suling).. particularly if she will change her family name to yours, she might want to shift her family name into a middle name...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)