Need HELP! Parents green card

I am US citizen. Applying green card for my parents.

My parents green card was temperarily denied yesterday. The reason is that my father had communist party membership although he hasn't paid the due or attend any activities since he retired 4 years ago. He was told that he has to answer some questions (why he joined , why he quit and such) and then re-schedule the time for the interview again...

Anyone has similiar experience??? Really frustrated now.

Read a law online that he needs quit 5 years ago in order to get relief..

My dad found an American lawyer who asked for $2500 to get him visa.

Is that OK to do that? Just not sure if he can really help as he promised...

Surely don't want him to do anything illegal to make things worse!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

I am US citizen. Applying green card for my parents.

My parents green card was temperarily denied yesterday. The reason is that my father had communist party membership although he hasn't paid the due or attend any activities since he retired 4 years ago. He was told that he has to answer some questions (why he joined , why he quit and such) and then re-schedule the time for the interview again...

Anyone has similiar experience??? Really frustrated now.

Read a law online that he needs quit 5 years ago in order to get relief..

My dad found an American lawyer who asked for $2500 to get him visa.

Is that OK to do that? Just not sure if he can really help as he promised...

Surely don't want him to do anything illegal to make things worse!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

209006[/snapback]

You should take a look at this and it may help you in providing what they are looking for, the attorney route is another option as well:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....=ST&f=1&t=10146

There is an exception if membership was required for employment and such, but normally it would seem the presentation of this information is easiest handled at the interview, but we you are past that now. Below is some information that should be helpful. Not sure what the process demands you do to get this handled.

http://straylight.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...82----000-.html

INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY

Sec. 212. [8 U.S.C. 1182]

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(3) Security and related grounds.-

(D) Immigrant membership in totalitarian party.-

(i) In general.-Any immigrant who is or has been a member of or affiliated with the Communist or any other totalitarian party (or subdivision or affiliate thereof), domestic or foreign, is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception for involuntary membership.- Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that the membership or affiliation is or was involuntary, or is or was solely when under 16 years of age, by operation of law, or for purposes of obtaining employment, food rations, or other essentials of living and whether necessary for such purposes.

Good Luck