How do you call your wife or loveones?

Most Chinese couple probably called each other "Lao Po" or "Lao Gong". Lao means "old". Po means "old lady" or "grandma". Gong means "old man" or "grandpa". So Lao Po means "old grandma" and Lao Gong means "old grandpa". Do you really want to call your wife "old grandma"? Also, some couples called their spouse "Ai Ren" which means "lover". If you call your wife a lover in USA, people think she is your mistress.

In summary:

If you translate Chinese words into English words, it won't always make sense. The same is true for translating English to Chinese.

I prefer to call my gal "honey", very sweet.

:rolleyes:

I love it when Ping calls me Lao Gong. She seems to enjoy being called Lao Po. I call her a lot of different pet names, as many as I can think of. My special pet name for her is a play on words. Since her name is Ping and the Chinese word for apple is ping guo then I call her Ping-guo sometimes and when I do this she will call me banana. B)

• 1 month later...

LAO in LAOPO or LAOGONG doesn't mean old,like LAO in LAO WAI(foreigner).Some of u have learned Chinese and would know that. Lao here is some supplimental character(ZHU CI,i forget the English word for this) which helps to make a word,the meaning of the word all on the last character,like PO,GONG,WAI here. <_<

and ZHANGFU,QIZI is some words we use when to talk to the 3rd party,not to each other between couples. B)