Getting a Driver's License

the more i think about it the more i think the Yaris or something equal is the choice...

she had her mind set on a camry but unless we get a good deal for it used i dont think thats the way to go...

what do you think of that new dodge sportwagon?

207072[/snapback]

The last time I went shopping for cars (1996), I put a couple of VIN's through CarFax (be sure to do this for ANY used car you are considering) - one had an odometer roll-back, the other had had a salvage title. I bought new.

This time, there seems to be very little in the papers, and mostly cars that have already been sold. In my opinion CarMax prices are too close to new car prices - you might as well buy new.

I'm pretty much Toyota-only these days.

Any ideas what I can expect on insurance premiums?

I know this guy from Germany who wanted a car and he was paying $4000 a year for insurance.  He had driving experience.  My SO has never driven a car before.

207365[/snapback]

The premium on my '96 Acura is $584. For her '07 Toyota, it's $458.

I'll be looking to see how much it changes when she gets her un-restricted license.

the more i think about it the more i think the Yaris or something equal is the choice...

she had her mind set on a camry but unless we get a good deal for it used i dont think thats the way to go...

what do you think of that new dodge sportwagon?

207072[/snapback]

The last time I went shopping for cars (1996), I put a couple of VIN's through CarFax (be sure to do this for ANY used car you are considering) - one had an odometer roll-back, the other had had a salvage title. I bought new.

This time, there seems to be very little in the papers, and mostly cars that have already been sold. In my opinion CarMax prices are too close to new car prices - you might as well buy new.

I'm pretty much Toyota-only these days.

207088[/snapback]

Run CarFax even with new. I once bought a new car which later was having front end and electrical problems. Examination by my mechanic found it had been in an accident and repaired. Checking the VIN resulted in that the car had been switched with a dealer in another area after a front end collision. :unsure: Why do these things only happen to me.

my choice is also the corolla but all i can see or actually not see is not enough metal around here..

206895[/snapback]

Safety's my biggest concern, too. Wei really wants to be able to see everything, and wants a smaller car with big windows. :unsure: Field of vision isn't the best in our G6, but I'm actually more afraid of her hitting something while parking it, as opposed to out on the road.

Whatever we get, it'll be used, because insurance in CA is a killer.

• 4 weeks later...
Just learned that in [south] Florida, you have to take a drug course, then can take the written test. 

Here's the unbelieveable part:  You can take both of them online !  Don't even need to be overseen by anyone to ensure it is actually you taking the test  :D

206780[/snapback]

It's primarily a way to inform drivers of the evils of drugs and agreat revenue generator for the companies selling the on line courses.

My wife is getting her license in Georgia so we can avoid that nonsense!