history

the last time i was in beijing i spoke with Chun's brother-in-law because i had heard he was a history buff...

now i have always loved that stuff...specially when i can just sit a listen to someone talking about something he knows about.

i was interested in his facts that he had to share about the last 60 years....i told myself i would do my best to refrain from correcting him about this or that cause i knew his history he learned and studied was going to be completely different from my own....

very very interesting of what he told me...

about the 2 wars and the intentions of US during both invasions (as he said)

i mentioned the Generalissimo, he's like who?

Jiang Kai-Shek i said.....

he's like i dont knwo who that is...

i guess there was another name for him

what i learned and find fascinating is how history is not so much based on fact how i always pictured it but based on what someone wants to think it is...

both sides

the last time i was in beijing i spoke with Chun's brother-in-law because i had heard he was a history buff...

now i have always loved that stuff...specially when i can just sit a listen to someone talking about something he knows about.

i was interested in his facts that he had to share about the last 60 years....i told myself i would do my best to refrain from correcting him about this or that cause i knew his history he learned and studied was going to be completely different from my own....

very very interesting of what he told me...

about the 2 wars and the intentions of US during both invasions (as he said)

i mentioned the Generalissimo, he's like who?

Jiang Kai-Shek i said.....

he's like i dont knwo who that is...

i guess there was another name for him

what i learned and find fascinating is how history is not so much based on fact how i always pictured it but based on what someone wants to think it is...

both sides

206495[/snapback]

In a letter once to SO I had asked abouther views of America and American life. The response from SO concerning communism and the US was as follows,

"They hate and are afraid of the Communist Party very much, at the same time ,they look down upon them too. This situation just like the cartoon which name <<Tom and Jerry>>, The U.S.A government is the cat name Tom, and the Chinese Communist Party is the mouse name Jerry, they live together they fight together, but they can't live without each other."

Now I always viewed Jerry as the USA and Tom (the trouble maker) as the Communist. I guess it depends on which side of the world you are when watching the cartoon. LOL

I am somewhat of a history buff myself but I know far more about the Edo period in Japan than I do Chinese history. I have read up a little on the historical claims to Taiwan and Tibet but the era that interests me most is the cultural revolution or as the way my wife calls it "the ten years China was crazy."There is a lot of criticism over Japan and suffering they inflicted on China. Justifiable criticism I might add. I find it ironic though that there is little known about the all the people killed during the cultural revolution. No one knows for sure how many died but some estimates make the war dead puny in comparison.

I am somewhat of a history buff myself but I know far more about the Edo period in Japan than I do Chinese history.  I have read up a little on the historical claims to Taiwan and Tibet but the era that interests me most is the cultural revolution or as the way my wife calls it "the ten years China was crazy."There is a lot of criticism over Japan and suffering they inflicted on China.  Justifiable criticism I might add.  I find it ironic though that there is little known about the all the people killed during the cultural revolution. No one knows for sure how many died but some estimates make the war dead puny in comparison.

206713[/snapback]

very interesting, when was those 10 years...

i bought a book really interesting...but then again who is to say what is true, i guess i just need to gather as much information and me decide on what i want to believe or not

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...3485675-3881253

"Jiang Kai-shek" is the Cantonese form, I believe.

It's "Jiang Jieshi" in Mandarin. You can also call him the "Guomindang Lingdao Ren".

I just finished "Wild Swans" and the biography of "Mao Zedong, "The Untold Story" books, both by the same author, Jung Chang. It helped me a lot to understand during that time period, including what I see here in China now.

Also, both books are currently banned in China along with many others.

Also, both books are currently banned in China along with many others.

208243[/snapback]

My understanding is that many "banned books" are available in China if you have access to the "back room" at the bookstore. Getting to know a bookstore owner by being a good customer should open things up for you... :rolleyes:

The Chinese have found ways of getting around "official edicts" for a very long time and communism can never control that... :D