Eye exercises

I am very near-sighted. I will give this a try.

-----------------------------------------

http://www.acupuncture.com/newsletters/m_apr06/main3.htm

A famous Chinese proverb states that the eyes are the windows of the soul. It is crucial to keep the windows clean and uncontaminated. The following exercises are designed particularly for maintaining and improving visual clarity and sharpness.

It is preferable to do these exercises upon rising in the morning and before retiring in the evening, particularly if your eyes are ‘tired’. Make certain that your hands are clean and that your body and mind are completely relaxed.

Adhere diligently to this routine. The key to progress is to practice without interruption every single day without interruption.

1. Warming Your Eyes: rub palms together to create heat, then place them against your eyes for five seconds. Repeat three times.

2. Pressing the Rim of the Valley: use both thumbs and press slowly from the inside outward along the upper rim of the eye sockets. Then switch to both index fingers and press along the lower rim of the eye sockets from the inside outward. Repeat three times.

3. Rolling the Marble: press the back of your thumbs gently against the eyeballs; slowly roll up and down 12 times. Then slowly roll from side to side 12 times.

4. Turning the Wheels of Fortune: place the thumb knuckles at both temple areas and massage in circular motion three times. Repeat the same procedure above the mid-point of the eyebrows at the forehead, then below the eyes on both sides of the bridge of the nose.

5. Staring at the Light: hold an object out in front of you as far as possible. Focus your eyes on the object while slowly moving the object closer until it is six inches from your nose. Then focus on the object as you move it slowly away from you. Repeat three times and relax briefly in between.

6. Spinning the Basketball: with eyes open, roll eyes clockwise, then counter-clockwise three times each. Try to look into the sockets of your eyes as much as possible.

7. Taking a Nap on the Job: put your head back, close your eyes, and relax for three minutes.

My mom tells me about this enough times. Sometimes, I apply pressure to my eyes when I am really tired. It does seem to work.

In China, I actually saw them doing demos of this on TV.

The guy doing this had some strong eye muscles. He moves and jiggles them around all over the place. I was thinking if he moved his eye any more than he did, his eye might pop right out of the sockets. I mean, his eyes were bulging.

my wife often does # 1 and #2.. learned at medical office in china...

She also likes to then go above to the forhead with same inside to outside stroke, and then onto cheek bone as well...  and often then continues to move outward further (hairline to temple)...

204598[/snapback]

My mom tells me that is what they taught her when she was growing up at school in China.

I recommend that you take a look at the materials on this site http://www.self-healing.org/content/view/37/92/

In 2000 I wore bifocals. That was the year I met Meier Schneider and took two of his classes. Since that day I have only worn glasses for night driving.

Meier Schnieider claims to be the only certified blind person in California with a driver's license. His story is interesting. He was born blind.

I am very nearsighted as well. I'm a software engineer, so I stare at the computer for long stretches. My wife insists that if I take off my glasses and take a break, walk around outside and stare at green trees in the distance it will make my eyesight better. My grandmother had always told me the same thing (grandma was originally from same region of China as my wife, actually). I wonder if there's any validity to it.

I am very nearsighted as well.  I'm a software engineer, so I stare at the computer for long stretches.  My wife insists that if I take off my glasses and take a break, walk around outside and stare at green trees in the distance it will make my eyesight better.  My grandmother had always told me the same thing (grandma was originally from same region of China as my wife, actually).  I wonder if there's any validity to it.

205658[/snapback]

I tend to believe there is some truth to this sort of thing, PJ. Why not give it a try for awhile and let us know how it works out. If nothing else, you ought to feel more relaxed.

Supposedly, Mao Zedong instituted eye exercise for everyone to do in school and is still practiced everyday in school. I first saw this when I was teaching and thought it was a good idea, but the music that blasted through the speakers along with yi, er, san (1, 2, 3) was a bit much.

Guest ShaQuaNew

It's time for me to consider other alternatives. It didn't seem that long ago that I had to begin using reading glasses so that I could resolve the words in a document. I'm now using -1.50 over-the-counter prescriptions and find that I must use glasses to read just about anything close. It's truly quite annoying. Having worked with Lasik vision correction equipment and analysis, I'm not quite ready to consider it....

I am very nearsighted as well.  I'm a software engineer, so I stare at the computer for long stretches.  My wife insists that if I take off my glasses and take a break, walk around outside and stare at green trees in the distance it will make my eyesight better.  My grandmother had always told me the same thing (grandma was originally from same region of China as my wife, actually).  I wonder if there's any validity to it.

205658[/snapback]

I actually do thi sand my focus comes back. I am finding things in the distance are becomeing fuzzy because I am sitting here too long. When I stay off this computer my eye sight comes back.

In Asia it is Ok to take a nap at work at a lot of places if you are in the office, from what I have seen. I guess if a factory worker that is not true.