Passport validity

Dear Sir or Madam,

My wife's interview date is April 20th, and her passport expires on December 13th. We are planning to travel to the States mid-May. This is within the 6-month passport validity deadline for travel, but her passport is 1 week shy of the 8-month validity requirement at interview time.

My questions are:

1) Can she still come to the interview since the time of travel is within the 6-month validity requirement?

2) If she is issued a visa, can she renew her passport before travel to the States, so she doesn't have come back and renew it before it expires in December?

3) If the answer to #1 is no, then how should I advise her to proceed?

Thanks very much for your help. This is a great service by our consulate here. Very helpful.

Dear Sir or Madam,

My wife's interview date is April 20th, and her passport expires on December 13th.  We are planning to travel to the States mid-May.  This is within the 6-month passport validity deadline for travel, but her passport is 1 week shy of the 8-month validity requirement at interview time.

My questions are:

1)  Can she still come to the interview since the time of travel is within the 6-month validity requirement?

2)  If she is issued a visa, can she renew her passport before travel to the States, so she doesn't have come back and renew it before it expires in December?

3)  If the answer to #1 is no, then how should I advise her to proceed?

Thanks very much for your help.  This is a great service by our consulate here.  Very helpful.

203402[/snapback]

Dear CFL Members,

We require that applicants have a passport with at least 6 months remaining validity before we can issue them a visa. If an applicant does not have this at the time of interview, we can still interview them, but would not be able to issue them a visa. They would have to come back and submit a valid passport whenever it was ready. Then we could put the visa in the new passport.

If an applicant's passport containing a US visa expires, he/she will have to renew it and most likely will have to obtain a new US visa. One cannot travel to the US using a visa in an expired passport.

Sincerely,

IV unit, US Consulate, Guangzhou, China