Harley-Davidson in China

Cool riding one in China

-------------------------------------------

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandu...es/harleychina/

The Hog and the Dragon: Harley Looks to Chinese Motorcycle Market

The Harley-Davidson Motor Company is exploring a relationship with China's Zongshen Motorcycle Group to pave the way for its entry into the Chinese market.

Zongshen's flagship 250 shows some Harley influence already. Harley hopes the company can pave the way for its entry into the Chinese market, which may soon be able to buy Harley's in attractive numbers.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company announced today that it is exploring a relationship with China's Zongshen Motorcycle Group with an eye on entering the Chinese market. Citing formidable barriers to foreign motorcycle makers, Harley has signed a memorandum of understanding with Zongshen, which one of the largest, if not the largest, of China's hundreds of motorcycle manufacturers.

The two companies are seeking a mutual beneficial relationship. Harley is looking for a profitable entry into the massive Chinese market, which seems poised to grow in Harley's direction. It is looking to an alliance with Zongshen to guide it past the considerable obstacles it foresees confronting it in China. Zongchen apparently sees value in an association with the American icon, and would also be offered information on some of Harley's technology and strategies. That is, if the relationship in consumated. At the moment the two companies are just in the dating stage.

One of Zongshen's 200s

Although few Americans have heard of it, Zongshen is a major player in the transportation-oriented Chinese motorcycle market. It makes a million 50cc to 250cc motorcycles a year and twice that many motorcycle engines. It is reportedly working on a 1000cc four, and has been sponsoring entries (on Hondas and Suzukis) in world endurance and superbike racing for publicity and research. Zongshen also supplies marine outboard, minicar, and over a million other small engines (in 50 varieties and 700 types) annually. It employs about 20,000 people, has over 50 subsidiaries, and distributes its products throught Asia as well as to Europe and the U.S. It recently spent $30 million on an engineering center and has a 300-person R&D facility as well. In 2002 and 2003, Forbes listed Zongshen Chairman, Zuo Zongshen, 51, among China's 100 richest people.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I'm not sure about other big cities in China, but anything bigger than a moped is not allowed in the city limits of Shenzhen. Anyone caught driving a motorbike there, will have it promptly confiscated by the police.

Now, if we could just get that passed here in Central Florida.... :blink:

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Look out China, the U.S. is moving in -

I got this off MSNBC

Updated: 2:01 p.m. ET March 23, 2006

MILWAUKEE - Harley-Davidson Inc. will open its first dealership in China next month, marking its entry into the burgeoning economy.

Beijing Harley-Davidson, partnered with dealer Beijing Feng Huo Lun, will open in early April, the Milwaukee-based motorcycle manufacturer said Thursday.

"The quality of the Beijing Harley-Davidson dealership experience will be first-class in every respect," said David Foley, the company's managing director in China. "Customers will get a real understanding and appreciation of the Harley-Davidson lifestyle."

During my visit in December Jie had a Harley emblem, which she was sewing upsidedown on the back of a pair of leather pants she was designing.

I asked if she knew what the emblem meant. :angry:

Not a clue.... "It just looks pretty," she said. :(

This reminds me, "It's the little things"

Eric