New info for me

Look. The biggest problem that faces China now (and in the past) is that China likes to live in denial about the past. They create a web of B/S that hurts them culturally. Even when criticism or analysis is permitted it is constrained within certain parameters.

It doesn't matter if my SO thinks cannabalism in Guangxi "didn't happen," or chooses "not to believe," etc. etc. Modern research indicates that it most certainly did happen!!! The main question that remains is, "Why did it happen?"

Chinese people seem to personalize their history. They appear to think that if one, for example, says that Mao's economic policies were a failure that one is attacking Chinese people. This leads to collective B/S thinking. If one criticizes the Chinese government to my SO one runs the risk of hurting her feelings! In fact if a foreign dignatary critiques China he runs the risk of hurting the feelings of all China. I do not talk to my wife about Chinese failures because I want her to be happy. You see, even I am falling for this sort of manipulation!!!!!!

Mercifully, the Party has sanctioned the heresy that, Mao was not a brilliant economist. My amusing and delightful SO said that it is official that Mao's economic policies were 1/3 wrong!!!

The West and East view the role of the historian in entirely different ways.

Rup

I heard people ate a dead body during the Cultural Revolution but never heard they killed people for food.

I read on a Chinese magazine, many years ago, that some minority, they cut a dead body and devided among the folks: head for senior people, breast for moms who were breast feeding babies, arms for hunters, dick for the newly-married guys....

If you read this, you'll vomit when seeing meat on your dinner table.

Look.  The biggest problem that faces China now (and in the past) is that China likes to live in denial about the past.  They create a web of B/S that hurts them culturally.  Even when criticism or analysis is permitted it is constrained within certain parameters.

It doesn't matter if my SO thinks cannabalism in Guangxi "didn't happen,"  or chooses "not to believe," etc. etc.  Modern research indicates that it most certainly did happen!!!  The main question that remains is, "Why did it happen?"

Chinese people seem to personalize their history.  They appear to think that if one, for example,  says that Mao's economic policies were a failure that one is attacking Chinese people.  This leads to collective B/S thinking.  If one criticizes the Chinese government to my SO one runs the risk of hurting her feelings!  In fact if a foreign dignatary critiques China he runs the risk of hurting the feelings of all China.  I do not talk to my wife about Chinese failures because I want her to be happy.  You see, even I am falling for this sort of manipulation!!!!!! 

Mercifully, the Party has sanctioned the heresy that, Mao was not a brilliant economist.  My amusing and delightful SO said that it is official that Mao's economic policies were 1/3 wrong!!!

Rup

202280[/snapback]

History is interesting, but living through the history of Cultural Revolution is a nightmare. I spent the first 15 years of my life in hell. I spent the second 15 years running out of the hell. Then I tried the next 10 years to forget the nightmare otherwise it will ruin my life. My mother is very fond of bringing up the history then cries!

Mao's favorite son got killed in north Korean by Americans - that's the curse of Mao's victims or God's will?

Look.  The biggest problem that faces China now (and in the past) is that China likes to live in denial about the past.  They create a web of B/S that hurts them culturally.  Even when criticism or analysis is permitted it is constrained within certain parameters.  

It doesn't matter if my SO thinks cannabalism in Guangxi "didn't happen,"  or chooses "not to believe," etc. etc.  Modern research indicates that it most certainly did happen!!!  The main question that remains is, "Why did it happen?"  

Chinese people seem to personalize their history.  They appear to think that if one, for example,  says that Mao's economic policies were a failure that one is attacking Chinese people.  This leads to collective B/S thinking.  If one criticizes the Chinese government to my SO one runs the risk of hurting her feelings!  In fact if a foreign dignatary critiques China he runs the risk of hurting the feelings of all China.  I do not talk to my wife about Chinese failures because I want her to be happy.  You see, even I am falling for this sort of manipulation!!!!!! 

Mercifully, the Party has sanctioned the heresy that, Mao was not a brilliant economist.  My amusing and delightful SO said that it is official that Mao's economic policies were 1/3 wrong!!!

Rup

202280[/snapback]

History is interesting, but living through the history of Cultural Revolution is a nightmare. I spent the first 15 years of my life in hell. I spent the second 15 years running out of the hell. Then I tried the next 10 years to forget the nightmare otherwise it will ruin my life. My mother is very fond of bringing up the history then cries!

Mao's favorite son got killed in north Korean by Americans - that's the curse of Mao's victims or God's will?

202289[/snapback]

SmilingAsia.

My SO would agree with you! Her experiences seem to be similar. My SO's mother could write that no-one would believe.

Rup