Child of US citizen and Chinese National

Hey all,

Now that my wife has the visa and we are ready to head back, there comes more trouble, this time from the Chinese gov't side. For those that dont know the story, my wife and I have been married for several years, and in the process of waiting for her CR-1 visa to go through, our son, Nicholas, was born. Now we have everything we need, and want to leave. It seems, however, that the Chinese gov't doesn't recognize children born here, naturalized by the American Consulate, and holding American passports. We went to the PSB here in Shenzhen and they gave us some craziness about going back to my wife's hometown to get a Chinese passport for our son. Of course that was out of the question. We then called the American Consulate and were told that we needed to get an "exit permit" for him to leave. I also requested they tell me in Chinese so that the PSB here in Shenzhen would know exactly what we needed. The Chinese is 离境证 (pinyin: li3 jing4 zheng4).

Once we told this to the people at the PSB they then told us they could take care of it for us. THIS IS ONLY WHEN WE SAID WE NEEDED THIS THING EXACTLY IN CHINESE!

We had to bring the following things to the PSB and they it went quite smoothly. Here is the list of things they requested:

-my US passport, my son's US passport, my wife's passport

-my 'Z' visa

-my health report that I was required to get for work (orangish/red booklet)

-my residence permit (green booklet)

-my wife's Shenzhen residence card (we live in Shenzhen)

-our son's birth certificate

-our marriage certificate

-4 2" white background pics of the child.

They also wanted several copies of many of these things, so it is best to make many before you come.

After we spent the morning there they approved our "exit permit." They told us that we could pick it up the day after tomorrow and that it would be good for 15 days. We then said that was too soon and they expanded it to 30, they wouldn't, however, to any longer than that.

Ok...just wanted to share my experience here with you all so that anybody going through the same ordeal can make take control.

nate

When your son returns to China, he will need a Chinese visa from one of the Chinese consulates in the States. You wife will need a re-entry permit from USCIS if she intends to stay in China for 1 year or longer. Good luck!

BTW: your son is very Adorable!! :blink:

Guest ShaQuaNew
Hey all,

Now that my wife has the visa and we are ready to head back, there comes more trouble, this time from the Chinese gov't side.  For those that dont know the story, my wife and I have been married for several years, and in the process of waiting for her CR-1 visa to go through, our son, Nicholas, was born.  Now we have everything we need, and want to leave.  It seems, however, that the Chinese gov't doesn't recognize children born here, naturalized by the American Consulate, and holding American passports.  We went to the PSB here in Shenzhen and they gave us some craziness about going back to my wife's hometown to get a Chinese passport for our son.  Of course that was out of the question.  We then called the American Consulate and were told that we needed to get an "exit permit" for him to leave.  I also requested they tell me in Chinese so that the PSB here in Shenzhen would know exactly what we needed.  The Chinese is 离境证 (pinyin:  li3 jing4 zheng4).

Once we told this to the people at the PSB they then told us they could take care of it for us.  THIS IS ONLY WHEN WE SAID WE NEEDED THIS THING EXACTLY IN CHINESE! 

We had to bring the following things to the PSB and they it went quite smoothly.  Here is the list of things they requested:

-my US passport, my son's US passport, my wife's passport

-my 'Z' visa

-my health report that I was required to get for work (orangish/red booklet)

-my residence permit (green booklet)

-my wife's Shenzhen residence card (we live in Shenzhen)

-our son's birth certificate

-our marriage certificate

-4 2" white background pics of the child. 

They also wanted several copies of many of these things, so it is best to make many before you come.

After we spent the morning there they approved our "exit permit."  They told us that we could pick it up the day after tomorrow and that it would be good for 15 days.  We then said that was too soon and they expanded it to 30, they wouldn't, however, to any longer than that.

Ok...just wanted to share my experience here with you all so that anybody going through the same ordeal can make take control.

nate

198232[/snapback]

Thanks for sharing Nate, and Congratulations on your most difficult victory. Wishing you and your family happiness upon your return to the US... :blink:

Since your son is obviously an American citizen, the only rationale I can imagine is that the Chinese government is trying to prevent the illegal "export" of Chinese children. At least the documentation you were required to produce leans in that direction.

It is also possible they took one look at him and said "this one's a keeper!"