problem leaving China with naturalized U.S. Citize

Hey all,

We, (my family) and another couple we know who's spouses were just issued immigrant visas (CR1s), are running into a road block concerning our naturalized U.S. citizen infants, specifically getting our kids out of China.

We (and the other couple) naturalized are China born baby(s) four months ago. We have Social Security numbers, U.S. passports and U.S. 'born abroad' birth certificates. Of course, since our children were born in China, our children's U.S. passports do not have a visa. In fact, their passports are blank (no stamps whatsoever). We were told by the U.S. consulate Guangzhou to contact the PSB in Shenzhen (thanks a lot U.S. Consulate... you should have a policy supporting U.S. citizens born in China to get out without this hassle). To continue, the couple in the same boat did this and were told they had to travel to the Chinese spouse's hometown and get their child hukou (family ID papers) for their child. They were then told the hukuo would cancel their child's U.S. citizenship and therefore would have to get a U.S. visa in the child's Chinese passport. Yep, I am telling you exactly what was said. So in a round about way the PSB officials admitted that the child currently had U.S. citizenship. Gggggrrrr.

We need advice on what to do.

Again, our child has a U.S. passport, U.S. citizenship born abroad birth certificate and a U.S. social security number. Passport has NO visa in it or any stamps whatsoever as it was issued in China and the child has never left China.

I have a valid Hong Kong work visa and a spousal L multi-entry chinese visa (I commute daily).

Our friend has a valid Chinese work visa.

Your advice is appreciated.

Chad

Edited by hamlett22 (see edit history)

Take a look at http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=41057

"...If either parent of the child is a Chinese citizen, that parent needs to obtain an exit permit or a Chinese passport for the child from the Public Security Bureau located in the place of his/her residency. If an exit permit is issued, the child can depart China on that permit. If a Chinese passport is issued, the parent(s) needs to apply for a pro forma U.S. visa for the child at the American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate."

If this is still valid information, it sounds like you may be able to obtain an exit permit and be done with it. The other option appears to be going through the hassle of getting a Chinese passport (apparently, China does not recognize the U.S. citizenship of children born in China, when one of the parents is a PRC national - http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/region...ional_1173.html ) and a pro forma US visa.

I know a lady married to a non-U.S. citizen, but he is not chinese either. They have four children, all born in China. So, her kids have passports, ect. But, they get a work visa because she has a work visa. I don't know if this helps you guys, but maybe you can get a work visa for the children.

you can go to the exit-entry administration of shenzhen to apply for an exit permit for a us citizen who was born in china and never had a chinese visa.

tel: 96897¡¢95000100

197899[/snapback]

I dont know how to help you, I only hope things resolve to aid you in having your family with you. When my wife and I married, I insisted she continue to stay on her birth control, as I knew it would be a hassle to bring my child. A baby that is born in a country is a citizen of that country. At least when folks from Mexico come to the usa illegally, they have a child and the child is then a US citizen. It almost has to be that way world wide, yes? Anyway, good luck.