One huge chunk o' questions!

Dear all,

I just want to send out my deepest thanks to all those here at CFL. I haven't been here long and don't post often, but I still feel that this is one of the most helpful, positive, interesting, and downright awesome web communities around. It's just like a big family! :D

With that said, I have a final bout of questioning I'd like to send out before D-day, so here it goes (I apologize ahead of time for the length):

Background

I am getting a CR-1 visa and have been working on it since my wife and I were married in Nov. 2003. I live in Shenzhen and have for the past 3 years. I now have an 8 month old son, Nicholas, and have bought a place here (paid one year of a 15 year lease).

Questions

1. We have prepared everything for the medical exam, which my wife will do this Thursday. (oops...not a question)

2. For the interview we have prepared the following things:

-AOS info (I-864, I-864a, tax returns for 3 most current years for joint sponsor)

-Domicile info (letter from joint sponsor, my father, claiming our relationship and my intent to move to his address; driver's license with parent's address, letter from a old friend of mine offering a job when I get back)

-Photos (tons of photos of my wife and I, many with our baby)

-joint bank acct statements, joint ownership of our house (in china)

Now:

For the I-864 my biggest concern is that I have no tax returns. I know that joint sponsorship is the ticket, but my job here in China is enough to meet the requirement. In light of that should I add that on the I-864? It is a Chinese company with no ties to the US. I also pay tax here, not in the states. It seems to me I should leave that blank and just go with complete support from my joint sponsor (aka my father).

For domicile: I am thinking I should leave anything related to our property here out as it shows that we are somewhat tied to China. Any opinions on this?

It seems our son should be a major point as we want him to go to school in the states, but how can we show that when he is 8 months old? He already has his American passport by the way.

I'm gonna cut it off here and call this part I. Please add any opinions that anybody might have!

Again, thanks for being so damn great everybody. :offtopic:

(sorry for the poor organization...ive been reading over tax info for the past 3 hours) :ok:

nate

It might help if she could bring your son's birth certificate as a proof of bona fide relationship. Maybe someone can correct me on this, isn't your wife going to get an IR-1 visa, since you have been married for over two years?

Good luck on the interview!

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

I agree.. the wife will get an IR-1... the baby appears to already be a USC. :blink:

TAXES:

There's no reason you cannot submit the required letter stating why you didn't file, and also use your current income on the I-864 to show meeting the guideline...

The concern i see is that your current income (however much it may meet the guideline) is not any proof that you have secured work in the US to meet the guideline for the next "x" number of years, thereby satisfying the public charge issues.

If it were me, I'd get dad to fill out one as well... note that you also have to fill out a I-864, even with a joint sponsor filling one out.

DOMICILE:

I agree with your thought on this.. I'd be inclined to leave any out chinese property ownership.. it's not asked for and your not using it as assets.