P.O.E how long does it take

My SO is planning on flying from NE China to Cincinnati next month.

Her port of entry will be either LAX, SFO, Chicago or New York City one of 3 airports there. Then coming to Cincinnati,Ohio. (There is no direct flight from China to Cincinnati.)

How much time should we allow for between flight changes for customs and immigration?

194222[/snapback]

My wife took about an hour to be process as a new immigrant arrival, they processed all visas together, and the plane was ahead of schedule so they were not prepared for us, and we were the only flight at the time.We then picked up our luggage then proceeded to customs. I feel we were fortunate to be ahead of schedule since they made a mistake and gave me the wrong boarding pass for my next flight.

SFO moves quickly but I would still want to give myself about

three hours for a connection.

194319[/snapback]

I will agree with this, allow about 3 hours, just in case there are any snags. After a long flight with no sleep, we are not really aware of the actual times, but I think from the time we got off the plane to the time we arrived at the next flight, was about 90 minutes. Our POE was SFO, and I think they were handling about 2 or 3 flights at the time we were there.

If you haven't already thought of it, you might want to add making certain your wife fills out the form that asks for a Social Security Card to be automatically sent to your all's address may save some trouble (if they remember to send it).

The "Green Card" probably comes on its own.

Maybe see the linked poll below. I (and others) have also made several other posts on this issue. It is thought that the DS-230 Part II in regards to SSN# is more for work visas DESPITE what the post interview paperwork that GUZ gives you regarding SSA says.

Yes, GC is triggered at POE, we got ours in about 7-10 days after arrival.

Automatic SSN# after arroival at POE CR/IR visas

194854[/snapback]

Only one little snag, a K-1 has another process for the SSN and AOS. Although if you have some magical powers Thomas would gladly accept an automatic AOS and forgo all the processing, but would probably not wish to skip the wedding. :cheering:

Her port of entry will be either LAX, SFO, Chicago or New York City one of 3 airports there. Then coming to Cincinnati,Ohio. (There is no direct flight from China to Cincinnati.)

How much time should we allow for between flight changes for customs and immigration?

194222[/snapback]

My wife took about an hour to be process as a new immigrant arrival, they processed all visas together, and the plane was ahead of schedule so they were not prepared for us, and we were the only flight at the time.We then picked up our luggage then proceeded to customs. I feel we were fortunate to be ahead of schedule since they made a mistake and gave me the wrong boarding pass for my next flight.

194754[/snapback]

I too have a question regarding port of entry and traveling to and from China. I am making my first trip to China later this month to see my girlfriend. I will fly from Sioux Falls, SD to Denver, then to San Francisco and then to Shanghai. And it will be the same cities on the return flights. My question is: 1. When I check my luggage in Sioux Falls, is it good until Shanghai or will I need to claim it in San Francisco and recheck it before departing for China? and upon returning to San Francisco from Shanghai, 2. Will I need to pick up my baggage in San Fran and recheck it before departing for Denver? I have never travelled internationally and I don't want to look like a lost little child. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Guest pushbrk

194222[/snapback]

194754[/snapback]

I too have a question regarding port of entry and traveling to and from China. I am making my first trip to China later this month to see my girlfriend. I will fly from Sioux Falls, SD to Denver, then to San Francisco and then to Shanghai. And it will be the same cities on the return flights. My question is: 1. When I check my luggage in Sioux Falls, is it good until Shanghai or will I need to claim it in San Francisco and recheck it before departing for China? and upon returning to San Francisco from Shanghai, 2. Will I need to pick up my baggage in San Fran and recheck it before departing for Denver? I have never travelled internationally and I don't want to look like a lost little child. Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

195103[/snapback]

You will collect and recheck your baggage at each POE, so in your case, SFO on both legs.

Arriving, first you'll get past passport check, then you pick up your luggage.

Departing, you check your luggage and then get your passport check.

You might want to search on I 94 threads for information on how to properly fill those out. They can be a bit confusing.

194222[/snapback]

194754[/snapback]

195103[/snapback]

You will collect and recheck your baggage at each POE, so in your case, SFO on both legs.

You might want to search on I 94 threads for information on how to properly fill those out. They can be a bit confusing.

195107[/snapback]

If he is ticketed though the airline will handle the luggage to China and he will need to collect it before Chinese customs. Neither TSA or US Customs requires this. Now if he is not booked from start to destination, then he would need to handle the luggage in the middle.

On the return he would collect to go through US customs and re-check it as he leaves customs.

A USC does not completes an I-94 as this is for non-US Citizens visiting the US...

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk

194222[/snapback]

194754[/snapback]

195103[/snapback]

195107[/snapback]

If he is ticketed though the airline will handle the luggage to China and he will need to collect it before Chinese customs. Neither TSA or US Customs requires this. Now if he is not booked from start to destination, then he would need to handle the luggage in the middle.

On the return he would collect to go through US customs and re-check it as he leaves customs.

A USC does not completes an I-94 as this is for non-US Citizens visiting the US...

195110[/snapback]

Right. Ticketing through works on the outbound US leg.

What IS the name of that arrival form you fill out on each end? It gets a little tricky.

194222[/snapback]

194754[/snapback]

195103[/snapback]

195107[/snapback]

195110[/snapback]

I am flying United Airlines all the way from Sioux Falls to Shanghai. And I am flying United Airlines from Shanghai back to Sioux Falls. So as I understand it, once my luggage is ticketed originally in Sioux Falls, I won't see it until I arrive in Shanghai. There I will collect it and proceed to China customs. Correct? On the return then, I will check my luggage in Shanghai, collect it in San Francisco, proceed through customs, recheck it and see upon my return home.

I am flying United Airlines all the way from Sioux  Falls to Shanghai.  And I am flying United Airlines from Shanghai back to Sioux Falls. So as I understand it, once my luggage is ticketed originally in Sioux Falls, I won't see it until I arrive in Shanghai. There I will collect it and proceed to China customs. Correct?  On the return then, I will check my luggage in Shanghai, collect it in San Francisco, proceed through customs, recheck it and see upon my return home.

195201[/snapback]

That has been the standard.

Now there is possibly one catch I ran into flying United/Air China out of China. At check-in the ticket agent informed me they could only check luggage for a maximum of 3 flights with their system and I would have to collect my luggage at my 3rd stop and re-check it to my destination. So I had them check the luggage to LAX and rechecked it for my final destination since I had an 8 hour layover.

As this is your first trip I might recommend packing lighter than you normally would. I found that 3/4 of what I took was never worn, although Shanghai might be a different story. My 3rd trip consisted of a small carry-on. For the most part clothing in China is very inexpensive if you find you need something more and shopping in China is an excellent way to spend time together.

I am flying United Airlines all the way from Sioux  Falls to Shanghai.  And I am flying United Airlines from Shanghai back to Sioux Falls. So as I understand it, once my luggage is ticketed originally in Sioux Falls, I won't see it until I arrive in Shanghai. There I will collect it and proceed to China customs. Correct?  On the return then, I will check my luggage in Shanghai, collect it in San Francisco, proceed through customs, recheck it and see upon my return home.

195201[/snapback]

That has been the standard.

Now there is possibly one catch I ran into flying United/Air China out of China. At check-in the ticket agent informed me they could only check luggage for a maximum of 3 flights with their system and I would have to collect my luggage at my 3rd stop and re-check it to my destination. So I had them check the luggage to LAX and rechecked it for my final destination since I had an 8 hour layover.

As this is your first trip I might recommend packing lighter than you normally would. I found that 3/4 of what I took was never worn, although Shanghai might be a different story. My 3rd trip consisted of a small carry-on. For the most part clothing in China is very inexpensive if you find you need something more and shopping in China is an excellent way to spend time together.

195206[/snapback]

Thank you for your suggestions. I tend to be a notorious overpacker. My trip is for ten days so I must remember to take just enough but not too much.