What type of visa is good...

My mother-in-law has been to the US once in 2001 to visit my sister-in-law. At that time my sister-in-law's status is foreign student. My mother-in-law did leave the US within the required time. She tried to get the visiting visa again in 2005 to visit my sister-in-law, this time my sister-in-law is in her practical training, means she graduated and hasn't had working visa(h1) yet. At the same time, my husband is filing CR1 thru me. My mother-in-law got denied. The VO said she attempted to immigrate. Do you have any clue?

• 4 weeks later...

It is more unusual to be denied after one successful visa and return to China. Probably not enough was stressed on showing she would retrun to China this time. Usually repeated attempts prevail.

• 3 months later...

Some friends have the following summary:

1. My sister-in-law's status. She's applying for H1 (working visa), and is not yet approved.

2. My father-in-law passed away.

3. My SO is holding an IR1 visa.

4. My mother-in-law is retired.

That's why the consulate thought my mother-in-law has the intention to immigrate.

Therefore, I have another question:

Can my SO file a petition for his mom after getting his greencard?

Thank you very much.

Some friends have the following summary:

1. My sister-in-law's status.  She's applying for H1 (working visa), and is not yet approved.

2. My father-in-law passed away.

3. My SO is holding an IR1 visa.

4. My mother-in-law is retired.

That's why the consulate thought my mother-in-law has the intention to immigrate.

Therefore, I have another question:

Can my SO file a petition for his mom after getting his greencard?

Thank you very much.

221935[/snapback]

Unfortunately the answer is no, he would need to be a USC to do this.

Who is Eligible to Sponsor a Parent?

Read more carefully -

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible to petition to bring your parents to live and work permanently in the United States.

but you ARE eligible to bring your parents over on a visitor's visa (some on this board have done it - Tine&Ella's list).

In fact, I think Tine said you don't even have to wait for your greencard.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
Read more carefully -

If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are not eligible to petition to bring your parents to live and work permanently in the United States.

but you ARE eligible to bring your parents over on a visitor's visa (some on this board have done it - Tine&Ella's list).

In fact, I think Tine said you don't even have to wait for your greencard.

221973[/snapback]

Let's not confuse petitioning for an immigrant visa versus applying for a tourist visa. Immigrant visas usually require that a petition be filed by the USC or an LPR in the US. Technically, a tourist wanting to visit the US does not need a petitioner. He or she can apply without one. In Tine's case, his involvement was aimed at documenting that there was no immigrant intent on the part of the tourist.

She tried to get the visiting visa again in 2005 to visit my sister-in-law, this time my sister-in-law is in her practical training, means she graduated and hasn't had working visa(h1) yet.  At the same time, my husband is filing CR1 thru me.  My mother-in-law got denied.  The VO said she attempted to immigrate.  Do you have any clue?

188969[/snapback]

But we are talking about a vistor's visa here. Individual tourists are generally not allowed, unless they are coming to visit a close relative. Tine suggests the letter of invitation to be submitted with the visa application, like you say.

The invitation letter has to be translated into English and be notarized?

We would like to give it another try next year, but I think the chance is very low cuz we can't prove my mother-in-law's relationship to China (no intention immigrating) cuz both her son and daughter are in the US and her husband is dead.

Guest pushbrk
The invitation letter has to be translated into English and be notarized?

We would like to give it another try next year, but I think the chance is very low cuz we can't prove my mother-in-law's relationship to China (no intention immigrating) cuz both her son and daughter are in the US and her husband is dead.

222174[/snapback]

The invitation letter would be FROM a US Citizen FOR a Chinese Citizen and provided as part of a visa application to be presented to a US Consular officer. As such, it would be appropriate to write the letter in English, not Chinese. Notarizing it would prove who signed the letter.

If you would like to translate it to Chinese for the convenience of the Chinese relative, that would be good.