AOS Interview Date

We finally got it, it will be on March 22 (strange as it is a holiday). Now some questions for you experts (and you bet is just the beginning): If we get the passport stamped, how long it takes to get the card in the mail? Can we travel to Spain with the stamp on the passport only? Will we get any trouble from USCIS after we come back? My dilemma is these: last June I was supposed to visit my honey in China, but as you all know we got the visa at the time, so I decided to get a voucher from the airline for a future flight, I got until June 1 to use it, so we"ll love to travel to Spain and take our daughter who's graduating from high school as a graduation present, we can only travel during spring break, which is around 3 weeks after we go for the AOS interview. If we can't go to Spain, we will be visiting San Francisco, which is my favorite city in the US. I just want to get some ideas from you guys. Also, I want to know if Qisheng gets the green card, how long can he stay in China if he visits. We have been considering exporting to China and would like to know if there would be any problem with his resident status. Of course he will have to spend some time to market his product, but later will leave an agent to represent us there. Thanks for the help. :)

Edited by mari (see edit history)

Our interview is around the same time (March 30) ... Sorry but what holiday is March 22?

Anyway, in response to your questions, it looks like it takes anywhere from a week or so to a year to get the green card after the interview. It all depends on whether they are finished doing background checks, and I don't think anyone will be able to give you a better estimate than that until your interview. However, I think (but someone will have to back this up) that if they give you the stamp, this works as a greencard until you receive the actual card in the mail, so you should be able to leave the country ok if you do get the stamp.

As far as how long he can stay in china, the answer is 364 days - once you have your greencard, you have to enter the U.S. at least once a year. I have a friend who grew up in the U.S., but is a Canadian citizen (long story ... her parents are actually U.S. citizens now). Anyway, she was in China and other parts of Asia for over a year and had a lot of trouble when she wanted to come back into the U.S. for this reason.

Congratulations Mari!!! Bing's green card came about two weeks after the interview. As for traveling to Spain you would need to check with their consulate. When we went to Canada we had no problems whatsoever with entering or leaving either direction with the green card. Since he is a Chinese national though Spain my require a visa even with a green card.

Li also received her green card about two weeks after the AOS interview. Interestingly, when she returned to the States after visiting China back in November, the folks at the POE never even asked for her green card. Just looked at the stamp in her passport. She even asked them if they wanted to see her green card and they said no.