Did I file for the correct visa?

I filed the I130 for my wife and step son a couple of month ago, however, I read in an old post of someone that had the same situation, their child turned 16 before the interview.When the papers arrived in GZ ,they had to wait for the child's turn all over again. The post was somewhat confusing so I am not sure what they meant. Anyway, should I do something different now or just leave it they way it is?

Anu help would be appreciated.

If I recall correctly, the I-130 cut off for a step child is 18. In other words, as long as you were married before the step child turned 18, you should be okay with the I-130.

However, age 16 may have some significance. For example, police clearance certificates are required for applicants age 16 or older, and there may be other requirements associated with turning 16 prior to the interview.

i think the post you read is about security namecheck. children under 16 doesnt need to do the security namecheck. so, if your stepson is under 16 when the consulate send the name list to FBI for security namecheck, it may not include your stepson's name. but if your stepson turns 16 when they are interviewed, the consulate will request two to three months to do the routine security namecheck for the son only. all the trouble it may cause is to wait for two to three months more. i think you can just leave it the way it is.

i think the post you read is about security namecheck. children under 16 doesnt need to do the security namecheck. so, if your stepson is under 16 when the consulate send the name list to FBI for security namecheck, it may not include your stepson's name. but if your stepson turns 16 when they are interviewed, the consulate will request two to three months to do the routine security namecheck for the son only. all the trouble it may cause is to wait for two to three months more. i think you can just leave it the way it is.

186493[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. You sound very knowledeable. Are you an attorney?

se...cret... ha ha. happy chinese new year!

186497[/snapback]

Happy Chinese new year to you! now can I ask one more question: Can I notify the NVC as to this situation and ask them to conduct the security check PRIOR to sending my file to GZ? Or do you think it is too much to ask for?.....

Guest pushbrk
se...cret... ha ha. happy chinese new year!

186497[/snapback]

Happy Chinese new year to you! now can I ask one more question: Can I notify the NVC as to this situation and ask them to conduct the security check PRIOR to sending my file to GZ? Or do you think it is too much to ask for?.....

186499[/snapback]

Chinese Wife, (Richard) has the situation you refer to. You have done correctly. He did not file the I-130 for the step-child who turned 16 before the interview. They had to start the process over by filing an I-130. You have avoided that problem.

The issue of age 18 is entirely different and does not apply to you.

I don't know the answer to how you make certain the security check is completed in the appropriate time frame if the child turns 16 between the time you file the I-130 and the interview. One would HOPE USCIS picks up on this automatically.

Please do keep us posted on your progress. I'm about 35 days behind you.

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
A "hoot" is good thing. It is a compliment. Sort of like "great" but better I think. I have never tried to explain "hoot" before. Thank you........when my wife gets here I will remember to not say "hoot".

186518[/snapback]

"hoot" equals "fun" or could sometimes mean "funny". Certainly "entertaining".