The Name Thing

Are you saying that every marriage that takes place in Vegas, the bride is unable to use her husbands last name on the certificate?  I find that hard to swallow. :whistling:

186013[/snapback]

In Kansas there is only one place for names and that is the name you have before getting married. Any name change takes place when you update your SSN and State ID. Not a real official process if you ask me, but that's how it is done here too.

186036[/snapback]

Yes, it is customary for official State marriage certificates to show the names officially used immediately before the ceremony. Then the bride determines whether to "keep" her own name or "take" her husband's name.

John Smith does not marry Jane Smith. He marries Jane Jones who takes his name (or not) and becomes Jane Smith (or not) after the marriage.

186070[/snapback]

In TN the marriage license has her maiden name but the marriage cert has whatever name she chooses i.e with her new surrname!

186072[/snapback]

So does that mean there is usually no name change?

Are you saying that every marriage that takes place in Vegas, the bride is unable to use her husbands last name on the certificate?  I find that hard to swallow. :)

186013[/snapback]

In Kansas there is only one place for names and that is the name you have before getting married. Any name change takes place when you update your SSN and State ID. Not a real official process if you ask me, but that's how it is done here too.

186036[/snapback]

Yes, it is customary for official State marriage certificates to show the names officially used immediately before the ceremony. Then the bride determines whether to "keep" her own name or "take" her husband's name.

John Smith does not marry Jane Smith. He marries Jane Jones who takes his name (or not) and becomes Jane Smith (or not) after the marriage.

186070[/snapback]

In TN the marriage license has her maiden name but the marriage cert has whatever name she chooses i.e with her new surrname!

186072[/snapback]

So does that mean there is usually no name change?

186074[/snapback]

No, we all change our middle names to Bob. now wifey is Fang Ling Bob....