Witness America

Hi mercator,

I finally called my mother and other family members this afternoon, my time 2:00 p.m., their time 8:00 a.m. It¡¯s a big joy!

I believe your wife has been looking forward to your call. It¡¯s very very important for Chinese to convey and receive greetings to and from their dearest persons. It's a trdition. Enjoy it.

Happy New Year!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A noble man

This morning, I took a walk to the shopping center of our neighbor. On the lawn in front of a McDonald's, I saw a scene which did move me.

An old man, very short and thin and weak, was standing beside the lawn, with a hand holding an empty McDonald's cup. A begger.

A man, was just walking to him from his car which was parking on the other side of the lawn.

I heard the man spoke to the old man, "............ Wait a moment, I am buying breakfast for you." Then the man walked back to his car, taking out of his jacket and wallet, turning off the engine, and walking into the McDonald's. I belive he bought the breakfast for the old man.

Seeing this, I was really moved. Noble man. Yes, he is. Action. Action is more persuasive and forceful than any beautiful words. Yes, Action.

A noble man

This morning, I took a walk to the shopping center of our neighbor. On the lawn in front of a McDonald's, I saw a scene which did move me.

An old man, very short and thin and weak, was standing beside the lawn, with a hand holding an empty McDonald's cup. A begger.

A man, was just walking to him from his car which was parking on the other side of the lawn.

I heard the man spoke to the old man, "............ Wait a moment, I am buying breakfast for you." Then the man walked back to his car, taking out of his jacket and wallet, turning off the engine, and walking into the McDonald's. I belive he bought the breakfast for the old man.

Seeing this, I was really moved. Noble man. Yes, he is. Action. Action is more persuasive and forceful than any beautiful words. Yes, Action.

198346[/snapback]

~It is said, "action speaks louder than words."

~It is also said, "the pen is mightier than the sword" which is contrary to the first saying.

~In conclusion, it is all a matter of perception, and "it", being the subject word, really means "life" and how one percieves it.

Thanks for your story.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be commenting on the English language or people's sizes. One of my most memorable observations while in China was the difference in sizes of Chinese people and Americans. I don't believe I saw one overweight person in China. The women are petite which is attractive to me. I will say that the only overweight people I did see in China was at a restaurant where I observed several American couples. They all had Chinese babies, so I assume they were there to adopt. All of the American women were (I don't know how to say this politely) huge. Need I say more? That incident alone taught me a great deal about the differences in life styles of the two countries.