translator requirements

I have a quick question about requirements for translators for submitted docutments:

1. Is there any necessary qualification/certification?

2. Am I excluded from translating documents on my own petition?

I ask simply because It would seem easy enough for me to do it and save the money and hassle of visiting a translator.

Guest ShaQuaNew

From the USCIS Website, item 13

As long as your competent to do the translation, otherwise spend a couple of bucks to avoid any dispute. Most translation services are rather inexpensive.

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I  typed name    , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and                      languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled                    .

Signature                                                       

Date                                          Typed Name

Address

http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scn...nal/index.htm#H

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

This would actually be an interesting question to GUZ... I would suspect GUZ is accustomed to seeing official translations and stamps and packaging.. and a home made version will stand out.. and possibly raise some scruntiny...

I know that one member had a marriage certificate translated by a friend of his SOs while in China.. and it didn't even cut it for the visa petition and he got an RFE. They scrambled for an official translation and stamped version... For an interview, the equivalent would be a blue slip...