Notarized "not re-married" certificate???

I have two questions about P4:

The appointment letter requires her to bring to the interview the following two items among other things:

1) Notarized declaration of Single (not re-married) status statement

My wife has been married to me for over five years. This is the first marriage for both of us. Does she really need a notarized declaration of Single (not re-married) status statement? I have never heard that before. It always costs a lot more to notarize anything in China.

2) Evidence of the American petitioner sending money to the beneficiary

I only sent my wife a small amount of money once, when her employer asked her to pay part of her China retirement savings account. Although I brought some money home (primarily for our son's living expenses) when I visited my wife and kid in China, I do not have any receipt for that. Is this really necessary? Or is it kind of "form letter" that I can ignore?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

You are married, hence she is not single. This requirement is not applicable to you. In fact, a statement about being single would be false would it not? I suppose some of the already married guys can confirm this.

I don't recall proof of sending money, or not, as a big factor. It was not for us. I recall that some discussion revolved about the sending of money possibly being used as proof of an invalid relationship. My suggestion: don't worry about either of these things. Better to focus on your affidavit of support and your taxes.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)
You are married, hence she is not single.  This requirement is not applicable to you.  In fact, a statement about being single would be false would it not?  I suppose some of the already married guys can confirm this.

I don't recall proof of sending money, or not, as a big factor.  It was not for us.  I recall that some discussion revolved about the sending of money possibly being used as proof of an invalid relationship.  My suggestion:  don't worry about either of these things.  Better to focus on your affidavit of support and your taxes.

179741[/snapback]

Thank you so much for your GREAT help, yuehan, as you are the one who has already "passed the hurdle". The thing which puzzles me a bit is the words "not re-married". Does my wife need to submit a notarized declaration of not being re-married, as she has always been married to me? I am confused by those words.

I have already submitted my Affidavit of Support and my tax returns to NVC. I believe that NVC should have forwarded those documents to GUZ so that I do not need to submit them twice. Am I right on this?

Thanks again.

Edited by Stone (see edit history)
I have already submitted my Affidavit of Support and my tax returns to NVC.?I believe that NVC should have forwarded those documents to GUZ so that I do not need to submit them twice.?Am I right on this?

179749[/snapback]

I would agree with the comment on the affidavit of support.. that you will not be asked for another one by the consulate since the one submitted to NVC will be passed along.

As for taxes, with the new year there is the strong possibility of needing the most recent year (which could become 2005 taxes) and obviously the poverty guideline does change... but they'll still use the same I-864 as the basis of your filing.

DOS Rule on Affidavits of Support: Guidance on Reading and Evaluating I-864

http://www.americanlaw.com/affidavitrule2.html

Validity

The I-864 and I-864A will have a six-month validity for visa interview purposes. The sponsor(s) and contributing household member(s) must have signed the forms within the 6 months prior to the initial visa interview. As long as the form is submitted within that 6 month time frame, it will remain valid indefinitely.

If more than 12 months pass between the date the form was signed and visa issuance, the interviewing officer should not require a new form, but should request updated supporting documentation, i.e. the most recent tax return, current employment or bank statements, etc.

It is also important to bear in mind that the applicable poverty guidelines might change between the date of signature and the visa interview. Although it will not/not be necessary to obtain a new Affidavit of Support, the poverty guidelines in effect at the time of visa issuance will govern. The poverty guidelines are issued annually by the Department of Health and Human Services. New poverty guidelines enter into effect the first day of the second month after publication in the Federal Register. VO/L/R will continue to advise posts of changes in the poverty guidelines and their effective dates.

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)