K-1 SSN

Well, except for the number.

We went to the Social Security office yesterday. After waiting (in line) for an hour and a half, the guy looked at her passport (only) and said "Do you have an Employment Autorization?" (I had checked the Employment box on the form). I said , "the K-1". He said, "okay!".

He said we could get the number on Tuesday (after New Year's) by coming back and waiting in line again, or just wait a couple of weeks for the card.

That's all it took.

Same for us but the lady said it would take a week to verify documents at the DHS and we will get the SSN in the mail about 2 weeks. No more going down there although the wait was no biggie... about 20 minutes.

Now, for the children... they are not eligible for SSN's because they are K-2. She said we have to adjust status for the children before they can get SSN's. Why this is? I do not know!

Same for us but the lady said it would take a week to verify documents at the DHS and we will get the SSN in the mail about 2 weeks. No more going down there although the wait was no biggie... about 20 minutes.

Now, for the children... they are not eligible for SSN's because they are K-2. She said we have to adjust status for the children before they can get SSN's. Why this is? I do not know!

179246[/snapback]

The SS #'a are very useful for a number of things - identification, insurance, bank accounts, they're required for a TDL - yet the SSA won't give you one without the work authorization (this comes with K-1 whether stamped or not) unless you provide a letter from the government agency that requires it. By this time, you're probably already turned down since you don't have the number.

K-1's come with that little 90 day work authorization - so I felt it very important to jump through that hole while I could.

Not very good cooperation here between DHS and SSA.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yeah...

There seems to be so much contradiction between government offices. Especially on their own websites.

I printed and brought in the statement from the internet to my local SSA office saying K-1 visa holders are entitled to a SSN. The statement did not say anything about ..... well..... anything! Just that my wife was entitled to a SSN without much fuss. Finally, after almost 2 months, we made progress and the process was allowed but not for the children. The reason was that the SSA does not issue separate SSN's anymore for work authorized or non work authorized.

My question to them would be... How come so many illegal immigrants have SSN's while making it so difficult for the citizens following the law?

I guess it's sour grapes on my part :smartass:

179246[/snapback]

Never been able to figure that one out either but you can get them an EAD instead of waiting for AOS to be approved if they really need a SSN.