I did the typhoid, Hep A (I was told Hep B was contracted by intimate contact - not even foodborne - by my doc, so he said I didnt need it), and I think they boosted my ancient kid shot regimen (diptheria mumps, etc.)

178888[/snapback]

There is also the risk of contracting Hep B in the hospital. You know, the cure all for everything in China is the IV and they have a reputation for reusing needles (or repackaging and reselling as new). I wouldn't be surprised if medical treatment was the primary source of Hep B and AIDS infection in China. Your first taxi ride will probablly convince you that the possibility of requiring medical attention is not all that remote :P

As an aside, both of my parents are chronic Hep B (inactive). At least one of them got it in a hospital here.

flu shot seems wise at this point.  Get a tamiflu 'scrip if you can from your doc, if you are worried about bird flu.

if you are in the south, bring your own DEET mosquito repellent.  I found some stuff in GZ but it wasn't anything like what I was used to, and its successfulness was questionable (I was bit ALOT).

179023[/snapback]

Tamiflu script is a good idea but do get it filled in the US and remmeber that it's usless if you don't take it within 48 hours of contracting the flu virus--of course all antibiaotics are usless with a viral infections.

also, flu shots target three or four specific flu viruses that the CDC projects may effect the USA--there are hundreds of flu viruses and the CDC projections do not laways take China into account!

Edited by Trigg (see edit history)