EAD's for K-2 Daughter

I have been Reading CFL and the Imigration sites about whether I can get a EAD or Green card for my 17 year old Step daughter .

I am trying to get her into a University ,and that's at best a maybe for the January deadlines .

I hate to have her wasting about 12 months doing little to nothing and although I have a farm and I can keep her busy ,I would like for her to have other choices available to her .

Any Advice ?

Thanks

Filing for EAD for a K-2 dependent is basically the same as filing for a the K-1 beneficiary.

I don't have experience with the process, but the directions are fairly well laid out on the I-765. You can get a copy at http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-765.htm .

Feel free to ask any specific questions on the form as you fill it out. Prior to filing for Adjustment for Status (greencard) for her, she can get a temporary card, and after filing for AOS, she can get an EAD card for a longer period. The temporary one (active while she's on the K-2 visa) is non-renewable, and depending on when you get married and file for AOS probably won't be worth the expense. But the EAD card for after you file for AOS sounds like it is something you should invest in.

You also may want to check out if there are any English (ESL) classes in your area that she can take in the meantime (filing for EAD takes a few months).  Even if her English is very proficient, it will give her something to do and a way to meet people.

176848[/snapback]

Thanks for the information

as far as English proficiency goes ,She scored in the 80 plus percentile on the English part of the SAT

She speaks English better than anyone here in this Neighborhood ,

You would not know she was just from China - but she has wanted to come to the USA SINCE SHE WAS 12 SO SHE WAS WELL PREPARED

THANKS

Like NY says, the EAD process for K-2 is virtually the same - fill out the form, pay your money, and wait. If she doesn't get her card within 90 days of receipt, you can usually get an interim card on the spot.

Jingwen and I considered whether we would "fudge" a bit after the AOS applications were filed but before the green cards were received, saying the kids were LPR's for purposes of ensuring in-state tuition. It never came to that. Also, you might want to check on whether Hope scholarship money would be available for in-state colleges.

You also may want to check out if there are any English (ESL) classes in your area that she can take in the meantime (filing for EAD takes a few months).  Even if her English is very proficient, it will give her something to do and a way to meet people.

176848[/snapback]

as far as English proficiency goes ,She scored in the 80 plus percentile on the English part of the SAT

You would not know she was just from China - but she has wanted to come to the USA SINCE SHE WAS 12 SO SHE WAS WELL PREPARED

THANKS

176860[/snapback]

I'm sure her English is great; but as I mentioned in another thread, my wife's English is great too (no SAT score to show off here, but she did work for an American company for over 10 years and had to correspond with American clients and do presentations in English), but she's found that although the ESL class is below her level generally, it does fill in some gaps, has taught her some slang that she somehow hasn't picked up from me and it's given her an opportunity to meet some people not connected to me (i.e. have some of her "own friends" in the area) - especially Chinese ones.

176848[/snapback]

THANKS

176860[/snapback]

I'm sure her English is great; but as I mentioned in another thread, my wife's English is great too (no SAT score to show off here, but she did work for an American company for over 10 years and had to correspond with American clients and do presentations in English), but she's found that although the ESL class is below her level generally, it does fill in some gaps, has taught her some slang that she somehow hasn't picked up from me and it's given her an opportunity to meet some people not connected to me (i.e. have some of her "own friends" in the area) - especially Chinese ones.

176897[/snapback]

One of my worries is to get her with some new friends here .

I am trying to get her a drivers license and some freedom to go places and enjoy herself .

Right now everything is wonderful and I want to keep their transition to the USA as Smooth as possible .

Since i had made no promises as to when she would be starting College she is happy with the effort that we are making .

It's a whole lot of work to do in a relatively short period of time ,so I am taking more time off to do all we can do!

I have some Other Friends here that are Chinese so I hope to have the best of all worlds for the SO and her Daughter .