overcome evidence for my friend

I am posting this for the friend that got denied yesterday. One of the items checked is to provide proof of residency for both their ex spouses. they are divorced and provided those documents but wondering what he can provide as overcome if there has and is no contact with the ex. They suggest utility bill, phone bill drivers licence etc but that is not always possible. He has to return to the states soon and will be talking to a consular officer in the next few days.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

mark

Was that their only reason for denial?  I thought you mentioned something about a video tape also.

175513[/snapback]

not him.. although there was a thread where we starting talking a bit about the videotape issues... I tried to find out who was the last person to slipped for a video.

I know that Boba was in April..

We got a blue slip, another hoop to jump through (April 2005)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9774&hl=

but am sure someone else has been since then. At least, I think, this shows the now infrequency of it. I think I have noticed is that those reporting back from GUZ about others getting denials clearly shows that videos are still be requested.. just not as much from CFL ...

Was that their only reason for denial?  I thought you mentioned something about a video tape also.

175513[/snapback]

not him.. although there was a thread where we starting talking a bit about the videotape issues... I tried to find out who was the last person to slipped for a video.

I know that Boba was in April..

We got a blue slip, another hoop to jump through (April 2005)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9774&hl=

but am sure someone else has been since then. At least, I think, this shows the now infrequency of it. I think I have noticed is that those reporting back from GUZ about others getting denials clearly shows that videos are still be requested.. just not as much from CFL ...

175612[/snapback]

My friend has a camcorder with him but from a suggestion by our hosts he will practice with his SO speaking some English and with him speaking his little Chinese and discussing the interview and its affect on them. BTW we should update the FAQs as the place to do video conversion to VHS tape has moved to the 4th floor here at the IV unit. They will only charge him 200 RMB to put the video on tape. He had made a video yesterday with them communicating (they understood each other and you could tell they love each other very much). Obviously this has been a very traumatic experience for both of them but they are determined to do whatever is needed to prove their relationship is real to the VOs here. I pray that they will be successful in their overcome process.

PS I will try to get the phone number and name of the Video service here.

Mark

What kind of evidence is considered sufficient for the issue of proof of ex-spouse residency? This seems a bit extreme...is this something that is coming up frequently?

175743[/snapback]

yes.. more and more frequent.

another recent post of denial

Need Help

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14599

and GUZ commented:

when is proof of ex's whereabouts needed?

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...=0entry175739

and GUZ commented:

175781[/snapback]

I was about to call BS on the consulate with this, but Lee sort of beat me to it - in a much more civil manner.

It seems to me that an inquiry as to the ex's whereabouts may be warranted if something has been brought to the consulate's attention (that dreaded 3rd party issue, for example) that suggests something out of the ordinary. But, as Lee points out, it's like having to prove a negative.

Would it be possible for the friend to make contact with the consulate to determine why this information is needed? If the VO can give some further indication as to why, then it might be possible to satisfy the request by other means.

Guest pushbrk
and GUZ commented:

175781[/snapback]

I was about to call BS on the consulate with this, but Lee sort of beat me to it - in a much more civil manner.

It seems to me that an inquiry as to the ex's whereabouts may be warranted if something has been brought to the consulate's attention (that dreaded 3rd party issue, for example) that suggests something out of the ordinary. But, as Lee points out, it's like having to prove a negative.

Would it be possible for the friend to make contact with the consulate to determine why this information is needed? If the VO can give some further indication as to why, then it might be possible to satisfy the request by other means.

175859[/snapback]

Although to "prove a negative" sounds very difficult, often it is not. For instance, I can prove I'm not naked by showing myself clothed. In this case one is being asked to prove they don't live with the person they claim to have divorced. It is done by proving the two have separate residences.

While there are certainly cases in which this would be quite difficult, particularly if you're half a world from home, it IS possible. For instance, I haven't known the whereabouts of my second X for 16 years but I know where and to whom she remarried 15 years ago and can obtain a public record of the marriage.

This certainly is an eye opener that shows the need for additional visits and documented proof of a real relationship in order to save the trouble of coming up with this sort of documentation late in the game.

Mike

I think in a land of a billion people with common names that cause clearance delays... proving someone's whereabouts could pose a problem for some.

I think Eric's SO overcame this in a way that anyone can do as well:

The location of the ex seems difficult but what my SO had done is get a police certificate of him at his last known residence. It was relatively inexpensive. She also had a letter explaining her separation from him and why they divorced. The reason here is they (The VO's) are suspicious that the marriage is being arranged for you to take her to the USA for him and that you are part of a visa scam. I know you are not but keep in mind what circumstances these VO's have seen.

175805[/snapback]

With the new procedures at the American Citizen Hour, one can get info about the case as well... if your in GUZ... Christer was able to find out from the consulate that they had third party issues.. so something is calling the relationship into question.... and as Frank points out, it would be good if you got to the real issue...