Getting ready to arrive in US

My wife is entering the US on a CR1 (through DCF process).

From what I understand, the Green card should be mailed automatically (hopefully within a month).

The SS# is also supposed to be generated and mailed out soon.

However, I have heard from some people that despite entering on an immigrant visa, they had to apply for a SS# at the local SS office. Is this true?

Additionally, if we are still waiting for her SS card, is she already assigned a number and how can we find out what that number is?

Anyone that has gone through this no the best way to deal with it? We hope that my wife can start looking for a job immediately and sign up for healthcare and everything as well.

Thanks!

We had to apply

After waiting nearly two months with no SSN, we called and there was no record and upon further search they had spelled her name wrong and had the wrong birth date (2005)?? So went to the local bureau and applied.

Due to wrong spelling, another security check, but we finally got the SSN.

For Healthcare, you can probably use a temporary 000-00-0000 for the plan (lots of people have seemed to do this while they wait - do a search).

We entered on a K1, so our situation was a bit different, but we filed for my wife (then fiancee's) SSN about two weeks after my wife arrived, and was told it might arrive in a week or so, but could take up to 6 weeks. Since we were staying at a temporary place over the summer in another city, we had it sent back to my home address. When we got back 8 weeks later, nothing had arrived. She went to the local SS office and was told it had been returned by the Post Office since her name was not on my mailbox!!! Oh well. Anyway, they said she'd have to wait a couple of weeks, but they gave her the number in the office and the actual card arrived about a week later.

Then we applied for her to be on my credit cards, health insurance, etc. ....

We were also K1 so our procedure was different.

I recommend waiting 2 weeks and then going to visit your local SSA office. They should be able to look at her passport, I-94 and whatever else you have to see if the SSN has been issued (at which time they can tell you the number) or if it is even in their system.

I guess the rule of thumb here is to be proactive and not just sit around and wait forever.