Easy Entry into the US !!!

Our journey from China to the USA on November 29th was fairly uneventful.

Shenzhen : We wake at 6:30am. Van from a local hotel. I always use a bus from HK airport to the China border at Shenzhen when I arrive to China. However, I pay the extra money for a van to take the return trip since it is faster and I do not have leave the van at HK customs at the Chinese border.

Chinese Customs at Shenzhen Border : Kelly has paper tickets for her airline flight. No problems at the immigrations booth.

Hong Kong Customs at Shenzhen Border : Drive through booth (like turnpike booth in USA) Again, no problems.

Hong Kong Airport : The airline employee at the luggage check-in counter check Kelly's passport, looks at the Visa, notices the immigrant visa (CR1) and asks to see her sealed brown envelope. He checks the visa information on the attached stapled page on the envelope with the information on the actual visa. We did not realize the airlines were cognizant of the process. He tells her she must carry this on the airplane with her. So there is no way someone can mess-up here. He also tells her an airline employee will again ask to see the sealed package at the gate before we enter the plane.

HK Customs at the Airport : Again, no problem.

Gate at HK Airport : The airline employee checks Kellys visa information on her passport with the sealed package. Hey, we knew this was going to occur !!!

Immigrations at Newark Airport : I ask an immigrations officer (IO) directing the passengers to the proper lines, either US Citizen/LPR to the right set of lines or l others to the left set of lines, if I can accompany my wife to the left set of lines. She says no problem. At the immigrations booth, the IO checks Kelly's passport, notices this is her first entry into the USA and asks for the brown sealed envelope. Kelly also gives him the completed I-94 form, but he says this is not required, what ??? He does nothing at his booth, and then takes us to the adjoining set of rooms for Immigrations.

The IO delivers her passport and envelope, tells us to take a seat (there are about 30 seats for people to wait), and then returns to his booth. Along with the rooms and seats, there are restrooms (thank you !!!).

The is an open area at the front of the room where IOs talk to foreigners about there visas. As I find out shortly, this is for non-immigrant visa people (tourist, student, business). We beginning to get nervous, many other people entering after us, are getting called up and questioned by the IOs. We do not see her stuff in any of the stacks at the front desk. Finally, after 30 minutes an IO comes from one of the back offices and calls Kelly up to an adjoining desk. The process takes less than two minutes; he takes hard copy fingerprints (black ink) and she signs two documents. No questions asked. Then the IO tell her the visa is a temporary green card, she can work, obtain a SSN, etc. and should receive her actual green card shortly. The IO is very positive and enthusiastic when talking to Kelly and congratulating her. Again, I ask the IO about the I-94. He states this is not required. I am thinking maybe for a CR1 this is not applicable, but I did not ask him. A pleasant experience after the long wait. The non-immigrant visa people were questioned much more extensively than Kelly, not sure why ???

Remainder of stay at Newark Airport : No problems, all-right !!!! One exception, a 2.5 hour delay on our connecting flight due to the storms on the east coast that day, this was difficult for both of us.

Overall, the entire journey was easier than I expected, with the exception of the 30 minute wait, with no indication what would occur next.

However, I do have four questions :

I-94 : With all the talk on CFL about making sure you must have the I-94 stamped at immigrations upon first entry into the USA, what is scoop on this ??? Is CR1/IR1 different than K1/K3 ??? I asked two different IOs this question two times each, and they both emphatically said this is not required.

A-number : Much talk on CFL about this. On the attached stapled info sheet to the sealed brown envelope, the A-number is identified, an 8-digit number ending in with a 9. On the actual visa this corresponding 8-digit number is identified as the Registration Number, a black 8-digit number, the same as found on the attached information page to the sealed envelope. There is a red 8-digit number, on the lower right of the visa, but is not the same 8-digit number identified as the A-number on the attached information page to the sealed envelope. I think I have this correct, any CR1/IR1 out there agree with this ??? One other puzzling item, other CFL members have stated that the A-number can be found on the NOA2 (I-797C I think) from USCIS. I cannot find this on Kelly's NOA2, is this because of CR1/IR1 versus K1/K3 ???

Green Card : How long until she actually received the green card ???

SSN : Even though we checked the boxes on the DS-230 Part II for the SSN, what should we actually do to obtain a SSN quickly ??? I need this to add Kelly to my health insurance at work.

Thanks for the help.
Kelly & Mark

The I-94 is for non-immigrant visa holders, such as K-1 and K-3, since you are CR-1 the visa has the same affect as entering the US with a green card.

The A-Number is not on the visa itself, the one in red is the visa number. Check your I-797 NOA1 or NOA2 again, they usually put the A-number in the same box with her name.

The green card usually arrives in a couple of weeks from what others have posted. The stamp in her passport is good enough for employers and anyone else concerning her status as a LPR.

On the SSN, wait 10 days from entry and go to the SSA office with your application to allow her info to be put in the system. It seems the USCIS is not passing the info along. You will need her passport and certified birth certificate as evidence as a minimum. There is a list on the SSA application of qualifying documentation, you might download it and get everything together before going to their office. They will want the names of her parents on this also, it is not clear about that.

As for insurance, the administrator of the plan should be able to add her without an SSN, you may have to remind them that an SSN is not something the insurance company has a legal right to require(unless it is government insurance benefits) and you will provide it as soon as possible. It may be a bit more work for them to do it, but that is their job, if necessary insist that they call the insurance company while you are sitting there. Your marriage certificate and her passport should provide all the evidence of eligibility required.

Also

Congratulations

:redblob: ;) :redblob: ;) :redblob: :greenblob: :redblob: :greenblob: :redblob:

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

great news.... congratulations... seems Lee gave you the scoop.....