Good vegetarian restaurants in Guangzhou

Jocelyn

If you're a vegetarian like me (or just want a change of pace), you might want to check out a few of these places.

For Indian food: Jewel of India

Apparently they were the first indian restaurant in Guangzhou. Although not strictly vegetarian, they have a plethora of choices for any non-carnivore. The bengan bhartha should not missed!

Address: 30 Tiyuxi Lu, Tianhe, Guangzhou (ÌåÓýÎ÷·30ºÅÌìºÓ¹ãÖÝ)

Tel: 8559 3882

Getting there: It's about a 20 minute walk or so from Tianyu Gardens (where the US Consulate is). You just walk south down Tiyu Xi Lu -- it is close to the "Tiyuxilu" Metro stop as well as the "Tee Mall" shopping area.

Meal for two (not including drinks): about 160 - 180 RMB

For Buddhist Vegetarian Restaurants: Ximenkou (Î÷ÃÅ¿Ú£© Metro stop is the unofficial "veggie restaurant hub" -- thanks to the proximity of Bright Filial Piety Temple (¹âТË£©

Just get off at Ximenkou, walk north down Guangxiao Lu(¹âТ·£©until the street dead-ends at the temple. Right around the temple are three veggie restaurants. We tried two and both were a hit:

Shui Yun Tian £¨Ë®ÔÆÌ죩is on your right if you're standing in front of the temple. If you get there between 11:30 - 1:30, you can enjoy their buffet. All you can eat for 22 RMB. But don't forget to clean your plate...any offenders will be charged accordingly for the leftovers. I guess explains the preponderance of chubby monks supping there that afternoon! Whether you choose the buffet or dishes, you won't leave disappointed -- or hungry, for that matter.

Shang Shi Zhai (ÉÏÊ¿Õ«ËØʳ¹Ý) is literally right next door to Shui Yun Tian, so don't get confused. This place is housed in a two-story building to the left of the market entrance and is almost a museum of all the great Buddhist vegetarian restaurant kitsch. But the service floats high above the chanting in the background and perhaps it's the friendly smiles -- more than the mantras -- that bring people back. In all of my over five years in China, I have never encountered such responsive and thoughtful service. We didn't even order anything super-extraordinary (just some dim sum, an herbal soup, simple green vegetable) but were really WOWED by the food. Only drawback -- they allowed a few folks to smoke in there, despite the numerous "NO SMOKING" admonitions on the walls.

Address: Ô½ÐãÇø¾»»Û·38ºÅ(¹âТ˲ࣩ

Tel: 8108 0385