I am a member of the Chinese Communist Party

Another question very related with the original one is:

Does one need to tell the truth to GZ about one's communist party member status, if telling the truth means "unnecessary" trouble at the interview?

How can GZ find out the real status since they do not share info database with Chinese government?

169865[/snapback]

David is right. Never ever ever lie to the USCIS or GUZ. Even if it didn't cause you problems it could be grounds for deportation later on if it were found out. On the flip side there is no point in volunteering information they don't ask for.

I joined the party in 1996 because I was influenced ( told that it would help my career ).

Does anyone have experiences with what questions might be asked of me at the interview ?

169811[/snapback]

Membership in Communist Party is a NO BIG DEAL, anymore. US communist paranoia has subsided quite a bit, and it's down the list in Homeland Security. Anti-terrorism is at top of the list. Anti-communism has dropped way down the list. There are still some of those outdated regulations in the books somewhere and it takes time to revise them, so they can still be followed by some American country bumpkins.

Yet, it's good if you renounce or remove your membership from the Communist Party. Who knows what kind of country bumpkin idjuts you will meet in the US, and they may still adhere to that anti-communism ideology.

Membership in Communist Party is like a union membership in the US. It doesn't give you any big advantage, except token preference for some of those dumb low paying jobs. Association (relative to or friends with) and knowing someone in high positions are much more helpful with more meaningful and higher paying jobs in today's China.

So if GUZ or the VO were to ask why you joined the party, just say it's very similar to union membership in the US. Job security and easier to find the better of those low paying jobs.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

This is from my handbook about answering a question in part C of the 485 for AOS.

" The questions in Section C are meant to identify

people who are inadmissible. With the exception of certain

memberships in terrorist, Communist Party or similar

organizations, you will not be deemed inadmissible simply

because you joined an organization. However, if your answer

to any of the other questions is “yes,” you may be inadmissible.

Chapter 25 (of the handbook) is intended to help you remove such

obstacles. Don’t lie on your answers because you will probably

be found out, especially if you have engaged in criminal

activity. Many grounds of inadmissibility can be legally

overcome, but once a lie is detected, you will lose the legal

right to correct the problem. In addition, a false answer is

grounds for denying your application in itself and may result

in your being permanently barred from getting a green

card."

I have read about a two year absence from the Communist Party time requirement from this site.

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/inel...ities_1364.html [link fixed by moderator]

Exceptions and requirenments

ii) Exception for involuntary membership.- Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that the membership or affiliation is or was involuntary, or is or was solely when under 16 years of age, by operation of law, or for purposes of obtaining employment, food rations, or other essentials of living and whether necessary for such purposes.

(iii) Exception for past membership.-Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien because of membership or affiliation if the alien establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer when applying for a visa (or to the satisfaction of the Attorney General when applying for admission) that-

(I) the membership or affiliation terminated at least-

(a) 2 years before the date of such application, or

( 5 years before the date of such application, in the case of an alien whose membership or affiliation was with the party controlling the government of a foreign state that is a totalitarian dictatorship as of such date, and

(II) the alien is not a threat to the security of the United States.

http://www.candleforlove.com/forums/index....=ST&f=7&t=10946

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)