China's one child policy...

Just thinking aloud, I wonder if the one-child policy will lead to more sino-american relationships such as we have here.  I know we have a growing number of American women who have chosen a Chinese husband.

With the one child policy 20+ years old, it means there is starting to be a noticable imbalance in the number of males to females.  I wonder if there won't be a point where Chinese men will actively seek out foreign brides.  There simply won't be enough single women for them to marry.

(yes, I watched yet another documentary - lol)

Merc

169244[/snapback]

This is a complicated issue. I am not an expert in this area, and usually not making any comment. Just to give some input as a Chinese, let me give some wild predictions here. I say wild, because my guesses and observations are not based on any research or scientific reasoning.

Yes, I think there will be more sino-american (Is "sino-" generally a neutual or negative word? I use it as a neutual word here) relationships, not because of the one-child policy, but because of the development of communication technology and the trend of global economy. Foreigners are not as foreign as before. As the result, while there will be more Chinese women marrying American men, there will also be more Chinese men marrying American women. The pace of latter will still be slower though, the reason is partly the following:

In general, Chinese men (or their parents) prefer their wife to be:

- younger in age

- lower in education degree

- lower in social status / career position, thus less income (this is not because Chinese men don't like money, it's because they are afraid that lower financial status will lower their authorization)

- smaller in body figure

- better apperance (their stand in women vs. husbands' stand in men)

- obedient to husband (in public) / parents

- capable but not showy

- healthy

- dedicated to family

and in fact, the expectation of women is just matching that of men, so it usually work out fine for the society at large.

(Note: above is just a generalization, each individual is different.)

The result is that, there has always been some surplus of female in the city, they are usually:

- divorced, particularly with a child (Mothers are usually more dedicated to family, so usually fight hard for the child, or if it's a girl, they don't have to fight for her.)

- over 30, with a higher degree, yet not understanding (in a positive way) in apparance.

There has also always been some surplus of male in the country side (farmers in remote areas, in particular). The one-child policy will have its worst effect here. Because farmers need male offspring to deal with the hard labor, they are the ones why try their best to get male children. Also the famale citizen of the country side has more job options in the city, and more marriage opportunities in the city. Even though, the age gap between husband and wife can become larger to offset the number inbalance, there will still be far less female. My wild guess is that prostitution has to be allowed, or there would be rape or other kind of social unrest.

I always tell my husband that I married him only to help out Chinese society- one less Chinese man for them to account for- unfortunately I got the most desirable man in all of China- and Hu Jintao keeps sending me hate mail about it...

169636[/snapback]

LOL That is good!

Perhaps, more women can help eliminate the over population by Chinese males in their society that is discussed above in postings. After all, the US should be good will ambassadors and help when we can! This should help level the "playing field" for the Chinese ladies!

By the way, how many lady friends do you have?

Take care!