Chinese lessons learned

Just to chime in - I've been to GZ, Yantai, Ningbo (2x) and never experienced any kind of prejudice or poor treatment.  I'm sure if I went enough I would experience it. Just like an isolated incident in the US, it is not really fair to generalize about either Chinese or Americans

168712[/snapback]

As I stated previously, I apologize for my generalization of all Chinese men. Personally, I could give a rip about any sneers, cat-calls etc. However, it may have been an isolated incident that nobody else has gone through, the experience was real for me and my woman. And, I suppose in my anger, I vented towards all Chinese men. With all the scrutiny that Chinese women must endure, I found it disgusting and appalling especially for her. She tried to keep a strong face and ignor it, but, simply put, this pissed my off big time!! I often wonder, with all the scrutiny these women are always faced with, if there isn't an undercurrent of gossip and resentment towards them, when they are seen arm in arm with a west man.

Never had a problem.

I only attract attention when we travel

in rual areas; pleasant and friendly contact.

When taking the river cruise from Guilin to

Yangshou I had a small tour group ask me to

pose for photos and my autograph. A fun trip.

As always, take the normal precautions as you would

if visiting a US city.

But China is by far safer than the US.

In my China travels, we have received the occasional untoward comment, but nothing too major and not too often.

There's a certain element in any country that will do that. I am white and I can recall some years ago walking with a white girl in my hometown and having some drunk (white) guy on the street downtown loudly advise me to "f*** her in the a**!!!"

I can also remember walking into a McDonald's here in the U.S. with a friend of mine, a Chinese guy who has lived here for 20 years, and his white girlfriend. Some white guy in the parking lot saw fit to walk past her and say "dirty whore."

Edited by JamesnYuHong (see edit history)
And, lastly, Chinese men do not like western men.?They see us as a nuisance and men who only want to come to their country to change the attitudes of their women.?

168540[/snapback]

My husband and just about every other Chinese man I knew when I lived in China have no problem with Western men.

How many lessons can you thoroughly learn about a huge country like China in just a week? I don't know how many I learned in two years.

168605[/snapback]

Amber, I realized after I wrote my post that I was being very generalisitic about Chinese men; however, I doubt in your lifetime will you ever have an American man walk up to you in the street and yell "whore" in your ear, because you are with Xiaoming.

168619[/snapback]

Dennis, I'm sure you don't hear the word "Whore" on the street these days but US was not always this way either. A lot of caucasion didn't like it when black men were dating caucasion women. There were a lot of name calling as well then. You have to give it time for China to change. Also when you talk about America, I think you really mean USA. There are other part of America that is still as backward as the small village of China. Unfortunately, you encounter a difference in culture and what is perceive as normal to do in China.

Ive never had anyone say anything to me but I have had a few dissapproving stares from a few Chinese people. Mostly taxi drivers and old women. I did notice that in Guangzhou and Shenzhen people were not as nice to me as people in Nanning where they see fewer foreigners. I guess I couldn't blame them. After all we are bringing the most beautiful ones over here aren't we?

Long term, I would expect there to be a gradual increase in social disapproval of Chinese women who marry non-Chinese husbands, in light of the looming bride shortage. There are millions of young Chinese men who are approaching marriagable age, for whom there are not millions of corresponding young women available for marriage. I can easily imagine situations in 5-10 years where these young men take their frustrations out on married, and single non Chinese men who are seen to be "Stealing their women". :o

And I can even imagine the Party deciding to place barriers and restrictions on the issuance of passports to women who are not married to Chinese citizens, in the interests of maintaining social order (and preventing riots caused by the perception that non-Chinese men are cheating the locals out of the ability to marry)

Edited by MoonCarolCafe (see edit history)

no matter where you are in this world this is going to happen.

i think more so in the smaller cities.

you will always have the old lady give you the dirty look, usually i just give her a pleasent smile and try not to make it turn sarcastic.

my ex was a dark skin brazilian girl and the same thing would happen in big city miami. you will always have the disapproving folks. we all know to expect this anyways before we ever proposed to our SO's. so dont let it bother you unless ofcourse someone opens there mouth and says something rude..... then its another story :o

Edited by izus (see edit history)