Delay to Guangzhou

I don't understand why some packages to Guangzhou say "At Gateway", others say"Arrived at DHL facility", others say "Shipment delivered" and others say "On hand".
I understand the general idea of what these shipping tags mean, but they are not necessarily date sequential.
It is almost like the embassy is requesting which ones they want delivered to them on a given date. The most recent delivery by shipment date was 10/20/05. But I saw others dated back as far as 09/26/05 that were still listed as "At Gateway".
Maybe "At Gateway" means they are being held in customs? Maybe the Chinese government is picking which ones they want to scrutinize or photo copy?

Then I also see that the delivery signature is the same for Beijing and Guangzhou "signed by STAMP" I haven't a clue what this means? Maybe it is literal... maybe stamped by security or a receptionist?

I hope my wife's not in the slow line...

Does anyone have anything other than speculation?

I don't understand why some packages to Guangzhou say "At Gateway", others say"Arrived at DHL facility", others say "Shipment delivered" and others say "On hand".

I understand the general idea of what these shipping tags mean, but they are not necessarily date sequential.

It is almost like the embassy is requesting which ones they want delivered to them on a given date. The most recent delivery by shipment date was 10/20/05. But I saw others dated back as far as 09/26/05 that were still listed as "At Gateway".

Maybe "At Gateway" means they are being held in customs? Maybe the Chinese government is picking which ones they want to scrutinize or photo copy?

Then I also see that the delivery signature is the same for Beijing and Guangzhou "signed by STAMP" I haven't a clue what this means? Maybe it is literal... maybe stamped by security or a receptionist?

168128[/snapback]

The reply I got from DHL... Dear ******* [personal info removed by moderator],

Thank you for contacting DHL.

I see that this is a location where customs processing takes place and since November 3rd this shipment has been under a clearance delay. I do apologize about the inconvenience. It is noted that it looks to be some additional paperwork needed from the receiver to assist in the clearing and delivery of this shipment. It would be of quicker assistance if the receiver contacts their local DHL for information on what is needed. I can place a request in to see what is needed but the response is given within 24 business hours.

Please let me know if we can be of further assistance.

Thank you,

Temeka

Customer Service Advocate

DHL

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)
Thanks for your message. 

The captioned shipment was sent to Immigrant visa section of
Guangzhou U.S 
consulate, it was held by CAN customs and required the consignee to
offer the customs cover for
clearance due to the heavy weight of 437kgs. 

We have informed the consignee, Ms Kerry, the requirement 
immediately when we got the
decision from cusotms, and who replied that would apply the customs
cover for clearance, but
the application time would be taken more than one month . 

We have kept pushing the consignee for the customs cover offering,
but the answer is still
applying .Only when we get the customs cover can we clear the shpt. 

By the way, Could you pls advise us your idetification : Shipper or
consignee or third party?

Should you have any query, please let us know. 

B.rgds.

Donald Mai / Customer Care Executive
DHL - Sinotrans Guangdong Branch 

This is the email reply I got from DHL in July 2003.

Many people were waiting for this "log jam" to break; and it finally did on July 21, 2003.

I don't know how many times I've refered to this note on this board over the last 28 months, but it's been a few.

-good luck

This is the email reply I got from DHL in July 2003.

Many people were waiting for this "log jam" to break; and it finally did on July 21, 2003.

I don't know how many times I've refered to this note on this board over the last 28 months, but it's been a few.

-good luck

168151[/snapback]

Another thread with a similar response from DHL around the same time as Ty's

168128[/snapback]

Stamp just means someone signs with a rubber 'stamp' at the consulate to sign, instead of an actual signature. As for the rest, I too am awaiting a package to clear DHL. Ours was completed at NVC on 9/23. I dont understand this wait at all !