immunizations

My SO will be coming to US soon. Her daughter will be arriving in January (K1,K2). Can their immunizations be completed in China and presented in US at the appropriate time. K2 will need immunizations prior to starting school. If they can be done in China can they be done at any clinic?

thanks

Lymeboy

See the FAQ P4 for info:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

---

Quick comments:

1) Get them in china, they are cheaper and easy enough to get.

2) Minimum needed are Tetanus, MMR, and Varicella (Chicken pox- CP).

3) Get the yellow international book as part of the shots, might cost a few yuan to get this.

4) Yes, any clinic that will give you a yellow book with stamps.. but ensure that it has some english, even if abbreviations next to each shot. We had ours done in Beijing; many have them done in GUZ.

5) Some reported the clinics trying to talk a K1 out of it.. but persist and say you want them. Some wait till after the visa interview.

6) If they have records of any of this then don't do that shot. If they don't have a record of CP but did have the shot, consider getting a blood test to prove it (of course need a stamp or something in writing). My Civil Surgeon in the US forced us to get a blood test.

7) Some Civil Surgeons in the US could require both courses of the MMR, the second must be done after 28 days of the first; some report not needing it. Either wait to see what the Civil surgeon says or get this from your family doctor when the time is ready.

I disagree that you DEFINITELY want them done in China.

As Carl said, you'll still need to have a civil sugeon sign off on them (on the Vaccination Supplement to the I-693), and from my experience, this is the costly part.

In MN, I found several places that could do the shots for $10 each - which was cheaper than if they were done in China.

I was hard pressed to find any designated civil surgeon that would do JUST the Supplement, and those that would wanted at least $50 to do it. And others wanted more than $200 for doing what is essentially the work of a notary public (IMHO). I ended up getting one to do it for $90 (the $50 would have required a 2 month wait) and the three shots for $30 total (total cost of $120, for those playing at home).

So, look into what the costs are in your area, and start looking for a designated civil surgeon that you can go to when the time comes - it will save you some major $$$$

Edited by NY-Viking (see edit history)