Mailing iPod to SO in China

• 3 weeks later...

For those who might be interested on the outcome of this thread, here is the latest info. The package was safely delivered into my SO¡¯s hands! She was very happy about it. :P

Here are the stats:

Mailed on 11/08/05

Arrived on 11/16/05

$26.05 cost

+ $2.00 insurance (for a $250 coverage)

----------------------

= $28.05 total

I used Global Express Guaranteed.

According to the USPS, you have three options:

Global Express Guaranteed

Global Priority

Register Mail

The clerk at the post office told me that Register Mail is the safetest because it requires many signatures along the way. But it is the slowest of the three (approximately 5 ¨C 10 days). The fastest is Global Express, which takes 3 to 5 business days.

I got no straight answers from the USPS when I called about the insurance. They couldn¡¯t give me a definitive answer on rather or not the coverage extends all the way to the final address. They said I should have my SO check it at her local post office in China. I don¡¯t see any logic behind that since we are buying insurance from the United States not from China. So it looks like the insurance is nice to have but don¡¯t count on it. On a side note, you cannot buy insurance if you use Global Priority.

I finally decided on Global Express for two reasons. First, it is the fastest delivery. My SO was returning to her hometown that week and I really wanted her to have it for her long trip. Second, I figured if they guaranteed a delivery, which means their money is on the line, they would have a greater incentive to deliver it as soon as possible. Perhaps they have made a deal with the Chinese customs office for guaranteed packages. I noticed on the delivery log, my package sailed through customs pretty fast. It only took half a day to clear customs.

Hope this helps.

Chris & Xiaoxia