Advice on adoption / insurance

Hello,

I am probably being a LITTLE proactive here, but I would like to know about the experiences of other CFL members with bringing an over-16 child to the US with your SO. Please comment particularly on adoption and how you went about making sure medical insurance, etc. is in place.

Jingwen's two teenaged kids came over on a K-2. Other than making sure GZ knew to send three packet 3's to her, the process was routine for the kids since their status was derivative to Jingwen's K-1 status. One thing to remember is that once the case gets transferred to GZ for actual visa processing, you'll have to duplicate just about everything - once for your fiancee's application and again for her daughter's application. This would include, police clearances, medical exams, etc.

I have not legally adopted the kids, so they remain my step children. You'll probably need to check with your state's particular laws if you want to legally adopt them. As my step children, Jingwen's kids automatically became eligible to participate in my employer provided medical plan (Aetna) after Jingwen and I were married.

Jingwen's two teenaged kids came over on a K-2.  Other than making sure GZ knew to send three packet 3's to her, the process was routine for the kids since their status was derivative to Jingwen's K-1 status.  One thing to remember is that once the case gets transferred to GZ for actual visa processing, you'll have to duplicate just about everything - once for your fiancee's application and again for her daughter's application.  This would include, police clearances, medical exams, etc.

I have not legally adopted the kids, so they remain my step children.  You'll probably need to check with your state's particular laws if you want to legally adopt them.  As my step children, Jingwen's kids automatically became eligible to participate in my employer provided medical plan (Aetna) after Jingwen and I were married.

164843[/snapback]

Hello,

Thank you! My SO has trouble with the idea that if you don't have medical insurance you may be sick and go bankrupt or die. The concept is foreign to her. California is very bad in this respect, so I don't want to risk lack of coverage. I believe I will buy them travel medical just so we don't have to be really rushed about marraige when they get here.

Thanks again!