Newb question... Application tracking

I've seen in some signature lines that people can see their application was 'touched' or that they get NOA information in email.

How? I never saw a spot in the application for entering an e-mail address.

I assume that once I get NOA1 for my I-130 I will get some sort of tracking number (or maybe the 'A' case number) then I will be able to login and see what is going on with my account. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

Merc

I've seen in some signature lines that people can see their application was 'touched' or that they get NOA information in email. 

How?  I never saw a spot in the application for entering an e-mail address. 

I assume that once I get NOA1 for my I-130 I will get some sort of tracking number (or maybe the 'A' case number) then I will be able to login and see what is going on with my account.  Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

Merc

163213[/snapback]

Yes - and that is when you provide the email address.

Once you have your NOA-1 for the I-130 it would be wise to file the I-129F for a K-3 visa. Then see which one gets approved first. There is a website that will allow you to type in your 13 digit service center number and check the status of your case. Email notification of NOA-2 must be something new. I never got one. Other members I am sure will update you on that process

At the USCIS web site where you can check service center processing date and such you can also set up an account with a user name and password and then list all of the files you have in process by MSC or LIN number and at that time subscribe to have an email sent when some is "Touched". An email does not always mean a change in status, but you will recieve an email when such as "your petion for XXXXX has been approved" or " A notification has been mailed to request further information"

And like Carl said file for a I-129 for a K-3 Visa also, then you have two horses running in the race. It is worth the time and money.

Good Luck

At the USCIS web site where you can check service center processing date and such you can also set up an account with a user name and password and then list all of the files you have in process by MSC or LIN number and at that time subscribe to have an email sent when some is "Touched". An email does not always mean a change in status, but you will recieve an email when such as "your petion for XXXXX has been approved" or " A notification has been mailed to request further information"

And like Carl said file for a I-129 for a K-3 Visa also, then you have two horses running in the race. It is worth the time and money.

Good Luck

163227[/snapback]

Definitely. The minute that NOA1 is received, I will be adding it to the 129F package and mailing it out.

merc

But, be aware that your tracking of the case at the Service Center will end when they send it to the National Visa Center. Then you have to deal with them to get any information.

Likewise, when the case is sent to China...neither of those agencies will help. You will have to go through the US Visa Center is Shanghai for case information. You can always try the Department of State.

No one has reported getting any info from the Visa Center in Shangai - several have reported futility. But the Department of State has access to the Guangzhou database and can tell you whatever has been entered there.

Since Guangzhou did away with email assistance, that's the best source for now.

But, be aware that your tracking of the case at the Service Center will end when they send it to the National Visa Center.  Then you have to deal with them to get any information.

Likewise, when the case is sent to China...neither of those agencies will help.  You will have to go through the US Visa Center is Shanghai for case information.  You can always try the Department of State.

163301[/snapback]

The tracking does end once it leaves USCIS. But the NVC has a phone and a live person to talk to that will give you status of case. Same with DOS.