residency "proof"?

hello all,

the MN dept of public saftey is withdrawing edith's driving privileges on Oct. 27, 2005. this expiration of her K-1 visa.

we are told that we need an "updated" doc from the DHS in order to renew her privileges. they said they need something with a "new" date. i tried to explain that she is current... i.e. married in <90 days, filed AOS and have notice, etc. NOPE, they say... she needs a something more. it actually sounds like we may need to wait until we get the green card???? that would suck.... may be more than a year out for us. <_<

it seems hopeless. any suggestions for documentation that might appease them? it there anyway i can prove to them that she is legal? once, we get our EAD card, we will try that, but until then is there anything else we can try?

thanks

ryan

Edited by nousername (see edit history)

I think that some local government agencies (i.e. county governments, city governments) may be willing to issue some type of "residency document" for newcomers. Since I don't live in Minnesota, I don't know under what conditions the local government will issue such a document, and I don't know if your state dmv will accept it, but it may be worth checking.

From our own experience, the finance department of my county was willing to issue a "residency document" to my wife to study at the local community college.

Edited by john90 (see edit history)

The EAD card should work. It worked for my wife but the DL was only good to the expiration date on the EAD.

Later I found out that VA and other states will accept the I-797C receipt notice of the I-485 as proof of legal presence which we used to renew her DL.

In general, what's needed is 1) proof of identity, 2) proof of residence, 3) proof of legal presence, and 4) ss card.

The I-797C (or I-797; can't remember :P) receipt notice of the I-485 should do the trick. Look at your DMV's website; keyword:{legal presence} for information on primary and secondary documents that can be used to obtain a DL.

-good luck