Marriage Certificates

My wife is sending a notarized, certified translation of her version of the marriage certificate via EMS. I hope to have it in hand soon. It was about 300RMB for her to get one translated and express mailed.

The question is: Is one of them enough, or do I need to spend about $150 to have someone in the states make a notarized certified translation of my version as well?

The only difference between the two, of course, is who's name is on the top of the document. It is also nice to think there are two originals, just in case.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Merc

My wife is sending a notarized, certified translation of her version of the marriage certificate via EMS.  I hope to have it in hand soon.  It was about 300RMB for her to get one translated and express mailed.

The question is:  Is one of them enough, or do I need to spend about $150 to have someone in the states make a notarized certified translation of my version as well?

The only difference between the two, of course, is who's name is on the top of the document.  It is also nice to think there are two originals, just in case.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

Merc

162184[/snapback]

I got 3 original copies of every notarized translated documents. The additional cost for the 2nd and 3rd are very minimal. It costs less in China. Best get it done at an official semi governmental notary and translation agency of the province or city.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

The is from the Federal Office of Redundant Filings:

Make lots of copies and get multiple originals. Chances are good that you will have to file the same document more than once and while copies are generally acceptable, we may mess with your head and ask for the original even though we might already have one on file somewhere.

What we say here only applies to the 1,432,322 federal agencies that deal with immigration issues. Our fifty states may also jump on the band wagon. Please check with them particularly with the county court folks or the DMV folks or anyone else that might require proof of marriage.

:lol: :lol:

I didn't want to take a chance on a lost, damaged or not returned document so all notarised forms I have in triplicate. The marriage cert here in California is $13/original. I will order triplicate tomorrow. You never know when something will be asked for. I had triplicates of my divorce decree and along the way I only have one left. Now that shouldn't be a problem as I will be showing the marriage cert instead B)

We sent in copies, not originals, of the translated and notarized documents from China for both the I-130 and the I-129.

We had three copies made and have not given an original to anybody as of yet. Same with birth and divorce documents.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I think if there would be any time in life that one would and should get more than one original then this would be it. The time it takes to replace a lost or damaged original will be your repayment. So, will most of us end up with lots of copies we may never need? Sure....but, consider the alternative.... B)

Sorry - I guess I wasn't clear. When we were married, we each were given a little red passport book (so there are two) and those are our marriage documents. What I was concerned with was whether or not both of those passport books should be translated and submitted or just one...

Qiukui made the question moot, at least in my case, by going back to the City of Yingde and getting an officially notarized marriage certificate. I guess that is like me calling up the state of Washington and getting an official copy of my birth certificate.

She is sending me a second one, so that I have one for the I-129F mailing, so I am set now I guess.

You don't need to submit it for the I-129F...

First you'll submit the I-130, then get the NOA1 (proof of receipt), then you'll submit the NOA1 from the I-130 which verifies you are applying for K3 visa...

162289[/snapback]

I don't know David Step #11 of the instructions say they must have filed the I-130 and a copy of the marriage certificate.

That apeared to be a bit ambiguous to me so I sent a copy of the marriage certificate with both.

Hello :huh: Remember my "RFE" . I had my little red book translated. I guess the copy of the original wasn't good enough.

If I were you, I would call USCIS, go for the option, about to send papers. You need to talk to an emplyee in person. It is your wedding certificate that is clearly stated you must send in. And any foriegn docs. must be translated, and notorized.

At least I hope they were reffering to my red book. I had no idea of the marriage certificate you mentioned.

I will add my experience to this thread.

While in China I asked about which marriage book is the right one to get a certified copy and translation for. From one of the people at the government office that issues the certifies copies:

"The womans copy of the marriage licence is the LEGAL copy in China". I guess the man gets one so he does not feel left out. Within China both seemed to work to prove the marriage. We only sent the one in (her version).