Flying Air China Monday...

I really need some help and clarification on my upcoming flight Monday. In the past, I've flown United to China and have packed according to their baggage limitations, 2 large checked suitcases up to 50lbs each, one carry-on sized suitcase, and a personal item such as a laptop bag or briefcase. This time I'm only flying United from Denver to L.A. and then Air China to Beijing and then to Zhengzhou. I went to Air China's website and it says that the free baggage allowance is one bag with a maximum of 45 lbs and no carry-on bag. I'm going to be in China for 5 to 6 months and there's no way on God's Green Earth I can meet those guidelines. I already have one carry-on sized suitcase packed full of candy per my wife's request for our wedding candy and that bag alone would maximize what Air China says I can have. :rolleyes: Help ME!!!!

In August, when I saw my husband off at the airport where he would take the China Eastern Airline back to Los Angels. I saw a posted information specified the similar baggage limitation as Air China does on their website. I sweated waiting in line for his check-in because he packed his two large suitcases according to Northwest Airline standard (50lbs), He also has a carry-on size bag and a briefcase for his laptop. He went through with no problem.

Don't worry, but do check with the airline personnel to make sure.

I have flown both, and since you are leaving from the U.S.A. I think their policy is not strictly inforced when you leave the U.S. When you travel inside CHINA domestic, they are very strict on their baggage restrictions.

When I have brought more than the allowed weight no matter how many bags, they will make you pay the overage fee per KG. Make sure you have RMB or credit card to pay, they don't except USD

I think when you fly international they are more forgiving!!!

Good Luck, and safe enjoyable trip

I really need some help and clarification on my upcoming flight Monday. In the past, I've flown United to China and have packed according to their baggage limitations, 2 large checked suitcases up to 50lbs each, one carry-on sized suitcase, and a personal item such as a laptop bag or briefcase. This time I'm only flying United from Denver to L.A. and then Air China to Beijing and then to Zhengzhou. I went to Air China's website and it says that the free baggage allowance is one bag with a maximum of  45 lbs and no carry-on bag. I'm going to be in China for 5 to 6 months and there's no way on God's Green Earth I can meet those guidelines. I already have one carry-on sized suitcase packed full of candy per my wife's request for our wedding candy and that bag alone would maximize what Air China says I can have. :blink: Help ME!!!!

160300[/snapback]

About a year ago, I had two checked-in juggages going from US to Beijing and then to Shanghai. The Beijing to Shanghai domestic flight did not charge me extra fee for the excess baggage because I was on international flight a few days earlier as shown in the passport.

The baggage handling in China's airports is excellent. I have been on international flights through other third world countries where they (customs and airline employees) checked (rummaged through) my check-in baggage and stole small portable electronics items.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I actually just called my wife and she called Air China's Beijing office for me. Here is the official rule straight from the horses mouth if anyone cares to know. The China domestic baggage limitations are waived for your first 12 hours upon your international arrival. Beyond 12 hours, you are officially subject to China's stringent baggage limitations and will be charged for the excess baggage. Light Speed Ahead! -Brent

Edited by Beermann (see edit history)

Air China allows 2 bags at 70 lbs each for International travel and if you are ticket on them to your destination the international limits apply.

Now when I get back to the US and get over to Southwest it's another story and I get stuck with an extra fee, but the ticket price seems to offset the fee.